James Tour: Can The COVID Vaccine Change Your DNA?

A hope so remote a possibility as this is anathema to logic and reason.

Wouldnā€™t that mean admitting to himself that his target audience are paranoid conspiracy theorists?

1 Like

It would just mean acknowledging that a portion of his audience is conspiracy theorists, and he does just this in the video. Thatā€™s why the video is important, in that he is standing up to a portion of his own base.

1 Like

He still placed the emphasis on ā€œindividual choiceā€ and did not do any rough calculation of the risks of the vaccine versus the risks of Covid-19. And he indicated that he would not advocate vaccination of anyone under 18. The result was to make the vaccine sound risky. I do think that he was trying to oppose vaccination lunacy, but in view of the fraction of vehement anti-vaxers in his base audience he felt constrained from speaking more clearly and forcibly.

9 Likes

Which is most apparent when compared to his videos about abiogenesis, where is almost literally frothing at the mouth in his rage. Of course, that approach might work better when people already agree with you, as opposed to when you are trying to change their minds.

Full credit to him for accepting some of the responsibility that comes with being seen as a scientific authority, in any event. But if the comments section is any indicator, he is on a Quixotic quest here.

4 Likes

Francis Collins, head of the NIH, is very open about his Christian faith. I am wondering if he has made any inroads.

True.

I texted him about it to thank him for saying something pro vaccine. He responded that several people reached out saying his comments gave them the confidence to take the vaccine.

Whatever his private reasoning, or public delivery, this was an example of a ā€œsoft sell.ā€ And that works better than ā€œhard sellsā€ in conflicted domains.

4 Likes

Not in the communities in which Jim is trusted.

A lot of evangelicals like Collins and think he is a net positive in the public sphere, but at the same time think he is out of touch with the details and their theological concerns. He is the among the last scientists people expect to point out any overreach by mainstream science.

I also see him as an important public figure, with a generally positive impact. But his opinion on the particulars does not carry much weight when substantive disagreement arises, as is the case here. Appeals to Collins function essentially as appeals authority, which are contraindicated in science communication.

Itā€™s notable that all the things working in his favor regarding evangelicals and evolution have almost no value regarding vaccines. So, no, I doubt there will be any difference between, for example, Fauci and Collins in making inroads regarding the vaccine.

3 Likes

Another way to put thisā€¦

Regarding evolution, one salient question: can a faithful Christian affirm evolution and be a respected member of the scientific community? Collins demonstrates in spades that the answer is ā€œyes,ā€ whether or not he is right on many of the particulars.

Regarding vaccines that is not even remotely the question. No one seriously doubts that one can be a faithful Christian and take the vaccine.

Instead the salient question is: can we trust the government and pharma enough to take the vaccines and tune out the avalanche of information claiming they are unsafe?

On this question, Collins has zero credibility more than any other scientist at the NIH and the CDC. He has never argued against a mainstream position and has always defended consensus positions. So his opinion on the vaccine (which, for the record, I agree with entirely) doesnā€™t count for much. There is no reason to think it will matter among evangelicals (or any one else) more than will Fauciā€™s opinion.

4 Likes

I do think that is a factor. People who are already distrustful of government and ā€œelitesā€ find stories that reinforce those emotions. In other words, they find the echo chamber they are comfortable in.

One interesting story is told by someone who survived the Parkland school shooting. The survivorā€™s father got sucked into the black hole of misinformation, and even went on to accuse his own son, the survivor of a school shooting, of being part of a false flag conspiracy.

That makes a lot of sense. A scientific iconoclast carries more influence in anti-vax circles than somebody from the establishment.

2 Likes

You donā€™t have to be an iconoclast like Tour. Any one with a history of standing against a mainstream position (ideally but not necessarily being correct in the end), and credibly looking into the details of the vaccine will have more credibility.

Of course, almost everyoneā€™s reach will be lower than the NIH director, but if we care about persuading people on the vaccine, we should amplify the reach of videos like this one by Tour. Ultimately I think they have far more effect per view than announcements by the establishment (even though I agree with the establishment on the vaccine!).

1 Like

Yes, I think they do imagine that.

No, everyone definitely doesnā€™t grasp that. I would not have a year ago.

I was explaining in a chat with a friend today why flu and covid vaccines donā€™t confer lifetime immunity and why MMR vaccines are considered to. I had to look up the science behind why it is the case with MMR but was guessing it had something to do with how it does or could evolve (and I guessed correctly as far as the article I found). I had also explained to him Iā€™ve learned a lot about viral evolution in the last year. After I explained that (among other things about the little I know about mRNA vaccines and how they compare to others), he said something about maybe changing his mind in the future about getting the vaccine. To me, that was a big deal. Honestly I think we could do a great deal of good by teaching basic science about viral evolution instead of origins, because it would have a great effect on our health.

It bugs me yet that differing, yet qualified scientific views make understanding basics about Covid more confusing for the public - for example, do we or can we know what kind of mutations are possible, how much the vaccine affects natural selection of mutations, etc. I donā€™t see a consensus on this and those medical characters with fringe vaccination or masking views go viral when they start the conversation on this because they sound knowledgeable and confident about their scientific opinions.

Also, I think the public is very confused on the science of how vaccines work and what the end goal is, as the ā€œsolutionā€ to covid keeps changing. I explained to my friend that I think weā€™ll be chasing Covid evolution with vaccines for a while until it becomes less dangerous or more people get immunity. But I donā€™t know if that is even completely correct and do scientists even know? The people Iā€™m talking to are very tired of the variant fear-mongering OR do just generally trust the media/CDC. Iā€™m kind of in the both/and/neither category.

Would be nice if there actually seemed to be scientific consensus on what kind of Covid evolution is possible with or without vaccinesā€¦there doesnā€™t seem to beā€¦sorry this rant of a paragraph is off-topic, but I wanted to explain what Iā€™m hearing from others regarding vaccine hesitancyā€¦

5 Likes

My implication was that it would mean acknowledging that a significant proportion of his regular viewership were conspiracy theorists (if the proportion werenā€™t significant, he would not feel the need to cater to them).

I would think that such an insight would make most scientists pause, and wonder what they are doing to attract such an element.

2 Likes

Science follows the data.

As the data changes, the scientific assessment will change.

4 Likes

Scientists donā€™t know what direction viral evolution will take. However, we do know that there are strong selective pressures that push the virus towards overcoming existing immunity which is cause for concern. I would suspect that existing immunity will be enough to reduce the severity of infections from future strains of the virus, even if it doesnā€™t stop infections altogether.

COVID vaccines will be adapted to new strains of the virus, just as we do with flu vaccines now. The amazing part is that there can be a quick turnaround thanks to the mRNA vaccine technology that has finally reached maturity.

Would they trust the media/CDC more if they suppressed the fact that the Delta variant is more transmissible?

Anything is possible. It is possible that the virus evolves to be less virulent so that it causes something like the common cold, which is what many other coronaviruses do. It is also possible that it becomes more virulent and causes much more severe infections. There is simply no way to know. The best we can do is prepare the scientific and corporate sectors for quick detection of problematic variants and streamline vaccine production.

1 Like

I understand your frustrations, and from the laypersonā€™s perspective it really does seem like itā€™s all just guessing by innumerable conflicting opinions among self-declared experts. When it comes to who is or isnā€™t actually a qualified expert, who to trust, and how science really works and whether or to what extend there is a sensible scientific consensus on some topic, rarely do laypeople really understand ā€œwhat goes on under the hoodā€ of science.

This is exacerbated to extreme levels by the clickbait culture that has grown out of social media and internet news reporting in general. It seems nobody in journalism have any qualms sticking a microphone in the face of anyone who can say they have a half-way relevant-sounding PhD and insists ā€œeverything weā€™re doing is wrongā€.

I know people in both healthcare and immunology wanting to literally pull their own hair off their scalps in frustration that the media has, yet again, stuffed some crackpotā€™s oral cavity full of amplifiers and megaphones because his PhD in molecular biology involved something with immunology, and heā€™s all too happy insisting everyone else is wrong. Thereā€™s this guy (IIRC) from Roskilde University who has basically been a non-stop source of total bullshit. And they drag out this fossil of an individual every time someone from some public health institution is quoted for the rationale behind new guidelines or w/e.

And I think to myself, how are people supposed to know that this guy is a crank? To think of all the things that would have to be explained and detailed to bring someone up to speed, not just on what is or isnā€™t a fact, but also this whole thing about who is or isnā€™t an expert, what a scientific concensus is, where something was published (what are predatory journals?). They have no hope of being able to identify all the problems with the things he says, and heā€™s saying all the right technical-sounding and scary things. So they get this guy on screen, then put him up against some other (reasonably frustated) expert, and you just get this impression that youā€™re dealing with a he-said-she-said between two equally qualified and substantiated experts.

And I have to conclude either the journalists themselves are also ignorant, or simply donā€™t care and are in some ways just trying to stir up the hornetā€™s nest for more clicks and attention.

Itā€™s obscene.

8 Likes

Incidentally @dsterncardinale did this nice and informative video on the Delta variant, and general virus evolution very apposite to this topic of vaccination strategies:

3 Likes

Wow those comments are bananas.

Sadly, journalists can advance their careers by prioritizing drama over fact. Ratings and readership matter more than truth, especially when you have an audience that is looking for someone to confirm their beliefs instead of confront them with inconvenient facts.

Good science journalists are hard to find nowadays. Wish there were more of them, and I wish they had a more prominent position in media organizations. For example, if Carl Zimmer were one of the top journoā€™s we would definitely be in a better place. I have yet to read a Zimmer article I didnā€™t approve of.

3 Likes

People in conservative Christian circles do not listen to Francis Collins. Iā€™m aware of a group of church elders who discuss BioLogos articles as examples of bad theology. So I do not appeal to Collins when reaching out to conservative Christians about science

Where I point to Francis Collins is among my scientist friends, to explain how great scientists can have strong faith, that science and faith can be compatible. Because of our current culture, many people seem to just assume out of hand that all of the science we know know means that there is no reason for faith

3 Likes