James Tour details his reasoning

Doubling down with another assertion. You are in a league of your own :slight_smile:

Go ahead Bill and defend this dishonesty by Tour. Weā€™re waiting. Say something intelligent for a change.

1 Like

This conversation is not progressing. Fix it soon or @moderators will close the topic.

1 Like

Having Tour lie to laymen and claim the problems are insurmountable without the help of a magic POOF! wonā€™t make Tour look honest either.

1 Like

We present evidence, the Creationists shut their eyes and go NUH-UH! What do you suggest?

2 Likes

How do you get that from ā€œThis conversation is not progressingā€? @swamidass is just pointing out the fact that the conversation (in fact, pretty much all the Tour threads) seem to have devolved into repeating the same stuff without much headway on either side. Itā€™s not about taking sides. I think the point is, if youā€™re not getting anywhere and neither side seems able to re-adjust to find either new common ground or routes to understanding, then maybe itā€™s time to wind the thread down.

3 Likes

So Jordan, are there a lot of chemistry that gets ā€œreadjustedā€ to fit religious dogma?

I am retired, but I do not recall that part.

When I was an industrial polymer chemist I was asked (ordered) to sign-off on fake QC documents. They (my boss) wanted to ā€œprotect industrial secrets.ā€

I quit. That day.

I see nothing different today.

Iā€™m not exactly sure what youā€™re asking, but I think the answer is ā€œnoā€, at least I certainly wouldnā€™t suggest doing so as a way of learning the truth about things as they really are.

1 Like

Good for you. Must have been easy and difficult.

1 Like

That was the deciding moment between well paid industry jobs, and academic jobs.

I had a research fellowship offer in medicine which meant the loss of income was a lot less traumatic than I might have been.

There was a weird cross-check recently. When I was a grad student we made irradiated microbeads at the UC Irvine nuclear reactor facility. (That was my undergrad, and grad fellowships ā€˜homeā€™). They were used in a research protocol to test the idea they could be used to treat inoperable cancers in the pancreas. The beads were doped with chromium. Very high energy gamma emitter.

Last summer my wife was treated at UC Irvine with micobeads doped with Yttrium 90, a lower energy isotope.

1 Like

What would it look like if it was?

You could contribute by watching and commenting on the videoā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve been wanting to go through Tourā€™s points in detail, along with Sutherlands papers and post my review. Iā€™ve been slammed the last two weeks and havenā€™t gotten to it yet, but Iā€™m hoping to in the next couple days. My area is laser spectroscopy and photochemistry so Iā€™m not exactly and expert in OoL but Iā€™m very interested in reading up.

2 Likes

I hope the treatment went well. Do they try to target the microbead placement specifically to the tumor area? If so, do you know how?

2 Likes

I did a little introduction some years ago.

I plan on an update now that I have been re-interested

Stones and Bones: A Short Outline of the Origin of Life

1 Like

No. She died.

The beads are introduced by catheter directly into the tumors. The procedure is guided by ā€œliveā€ CT to start and then ultrasound. The target pathways are pre-mapped by a PET-CT with contrast dye.

The medical students and residents were very dubious that an old long haired hippy dude knew about their superdupper high tech medicine. Their boss knew better! The kiddies were shocked that I knew that Yt 90 was a negative beta decay with an ~3 day 1/2 life.

Old-Bum|500x500

My condolences, so sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I will certainly have a look.

Well, thank you.

It is a very strange situation to know clinically, and also experience personally.