Jesus' Bible miracle: 'Compelling evidence' of Easter

Just saw this article in the Sunday Express (UK) that came out on Easter, reporting on my article at Veritas:

2 Likes

Well done! Thanks for posting this. Especially like this…

The question of the Resurrection is more like an opportunity to fall in love than a scientific inquiry. There is evidence, but the Resurrection cannot be studied dispassionately.10 If Jesus really rose from the dead, it reorders everything. Just like falling in love, in changes our view of the world.

1 Like

The article makes it sound as if you have found compelling evidence of the Resurrection in your lab.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t write the article or the title, nor did the journalist contact me.

The only form of life lower than a science journalist is a tabloid journalist trying to write a science story.

The article quotes @swamidass as follows:

“Isaiah 53 is a particularly important prophecy too that lays out the story of Jesus and the meaning of the resurrection."

I certainly agree. And Isaiah 53:11 is particularly fascinating for its association with the resurrection of Jesus and the resulting “salvation by faith” for Jesus’ committed-followers—and also for the complex textual variant issues surrounding those most intriguing words of the passage: “the light of life.” (The scribal details took me into some truly wonderful tools now available to all online, such as the Vatican archives of this 10th century source: DigiVatLib . I wish I could have had such access when I was in grad school.) I’ve often used Isaiah 53:11 as a prime example of why the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls was such a significant milestone in Biblical scholarship.

I have dexterity limitations at present (due to a recurring neurological syndrome in my right hand) but sometime in the future I’d love to launch a thread using Isaiah 53:11 as a case study on the tools and techniques of Biblical scholarship—and how the tiniest details can have profound theological implications.

Meanwhile, the NIV Bible was probably the first to follow the Dead Sea Scrolls reading of Isaiah 53:11 in preference over the traditional Masoretic Text—by placing “the light of life” (an idiomatic reference to physical and not just spiritual resurrection) wording in the main body of the translation text.

Isaiah 53:11

New International Version

11 After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life[a] and be satisfied[b];
by his knowledge[c] my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

Read full chapter

Footnotes

1. Isaiah 53:11 Dead Sea Scrolls (see also Septuagint); Masoretic Text does not have the light of life.
  2. Isaiah 53:11 Or (with Masoretic Text) 11 He will see the fruit of his suffering / and will be satisfied
  3. Isaiah 53:11 Or by knowledge of him
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.