Junk, or Not Junk, that is the Question

Well, the key point is that this negative rule applies ONLY within scientific discourse. Outside science, we can infer divine design all we like.

I think Mount Everest was designed!

No one in science cares that I say this, because I’m NOT making that claim within scientific discourse. That is the key point. MN is not a worldview, it is just rules to play by with in the “scientific restaurant”. Violate that rule, people respond like you aren’t tipping the waiter, or worse, skipping on the bill.

No, ENCODE did not call this into question. The use of “Junk” is a misnomer, any ways, and was disputed long before ID and ENCODE, because it is often misunderstood.

That is right.

Scientists argue about use of words all the itme, even when we agree on the content. Case in point is @T_aquaticus and me right here. There is no such thing as Junk DNA, in my view, but ENCODE did horribly equivocates “something happens” with “something important happens.”

A lot happens in the genome, but most of it doesn’t matter. Wee know this because we see a large amount of variability in the parts that do not matter.

5 Likes