Ken Ham and the GAE

When you said this:

… I thought “they” included Ham. Evidently I was mistaken.

1 Like

I mean rank and file YECs. Of course, if Ham is true to his word, he has the same opportunity too. That 100 million dollar debt over his head might make that difficult for him though.

Good luck with that when “There’s a book”.

There is a conflict between Scientific consensus and the YEC interpretation. GAE works in an old earth perspective provided people are willing to work within a narrower understanding of what it means to be human.I don’t see how it solves anything in a YEC perspective.

All the best and may God be with you…
Keep us posted.

There is also one between the scientific consensus and GAE. Unless you’d care to link to the plethora of scientific publications discussing the de novo creation of human beings by supernatual gods.

1 Like

You are a Psychiatrist and I am an Engineer… When people like @John_Harshman, @swamidass etc can both agree that GAE does not violate Science consensus, i think we can give them the benefit of the doubt.

Unless of course, you know some specific way in which GAE is in violation Of Scientific consensus.

De Novo creation of Human beings is something Science does not directly address.
Again, the point that Science can comment on is whether the De Novo creation of a male/female couple 6000 years ago can be detected by Scientific tools.
Its seems such claims cannot be evaluated by Scientific means.

Scientists also cannot make the claim that De Novo creation cannot happen or that God does not exist etc.

So, the parts of the GAE that can be addressed by Science are not in conflict with it. This does not mean GAE is a “Scientific hypothesis”… Its a theological hypothesis which is not in conflict with Science.

1 Like

Could you flesh this out a bit? I am curious about the AIG high schoolers and how they view Noah’s flood and historic human populations. Are they saying there were other humans alive after the flood, that perhaps Noah’s flood was local?

It is amazing how some YEC’s add to the Bible without realizing it.

1 Like

Wrong. If human beings were popping out of thin air “de novo” every few minutes, science would bloody well know about it.

We could just as easily say that General Relativity was violated just one time, and no one noticed. If we believed that, we would have to also conclude that General Relativity no longer holds.

1 Like

I don’t want to give away too much now publicly. I will hint a little bit.

A literal reading of Genesis requires us to conclude that there were people outside the garden, and that the flood was not global. AIG deviates wildly (and inconsistently) from a literal reading of Genesis when they claim otherwise. If a literal reading of Genesis is important, we should reject AIG. Perhaps there are other versions of YEC consistent with a literal reading of Genesis, but not their version.

How do students respond? When you show them the contradictions, they immediately see it. They often volunteer they have often wondered about people outside the garden too, and they are really interested to explore that mystery.

6 Likes

A curious audience lacking the ingrained biases of adulthood is a glorious thing.

2 Likes

He’s not as bad as Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell Junior?

1 Like

He also has a cool accent.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put it that way, mostly because I don’t know what “violate Science consensus” means. I’d say the consensus of the scientific community would likely be that de novo creation of organisms does not happen. But in the case of A&E there is no possible data to show that it didn’t.

4 Likes

Or Torquemada or Stalin. Why, I bet there are hundreds of people, living and dead, that he’s not as bad as. Maybe thousands.

1 Like

Ya, that’s what I mean… that’s why I said GAE is a theological hypothesis which does not contradict science.

As to the consensus of the Scientific community regarding De Novo creation, I might call it an opinion… And one that doesn’t matter much (No offence intended).

1 Like

Careful with your language. That is not in fact what you said.

2 Likes

I said this in the end of my reply to Fazal-

Its a theological hypothesis which is not in conflict with Science.

You can check it above… I was referring to this comment. Do you find a problem with it? How would you phrase it?

But that isn’t what I was responding to, was it?

Where are we going with this… You made a point. I acknowledged it and pointed you to the main point I am making.

What is bothering you here exactly?

He is trying to explain how to state the GAE in a way that does not rile scientists. I know it seems picky, but he has a point. Part of the reason I’ve been able to convince secular scientists is that I understand the point he is making, and I have been very careful in following those rules too.