Lents's oped in USA Today, endorsing GAE, comes out tomorrow

@swamidass Have you thought about doing an “Ask Me Anything” (AMA) on Reddit regarding GAE? Could be a good opportunity to field questions from people interested in the topic, and you can probably post notices to relevant sub-reddits to ensure that folks know about it ahead of time.

3 Likes

Show me a link to what that could look like?

Perhaps someone else does it and has some fun fielding the questions :). If one atheist biology PhD student @davecarlson did so that might turn some heads in a good way!

1 Like

Here is one from an evolutionary biologist a few years ago:

Here’s one from a Catholic Bishop just a few days ago:

Perhaps someone else does it and has some fun fielding the questions :). If one atheist biology PhD student @davecarlson did so that might turn some heads in a good way!

While I’m not opposed to the idea, I don’t really feel like I understand the GAE well enough at the moment to knowledgeably answer questions about it. In addition, I suspect that having the actual author of the book do the AMA would generate more interest. That said, I’m happy to consider the possibility more in the future.

2 Likes

fuhgeddaboudit - I am with @NLENTS and @swamidass all the way. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Makes sense.

I want to do this, but not during the next 48 critical hours. When I do, you can maybe come along with me :slight_smile: too.

3 Likes

Great! For maximum impact, I think you would probably want to do this closer to the date the book was published. Of course, having never published a book myself, I don’t actually know what I’m talking about! :wink:

2 Likes

Oh how far we have come @Patrick, :slight_smile: . Glad you are with us, and it has been really fun to see the community grow in depth and diversity.

5 Likes

I didn’t read closely, but Amazon can be a really great place to promote the book and discussion. Anyone who buys a copy can rate and review as a verified purchaser. These reviews get a lot of traffic, especially because of Amazon’s algorithm that suggests similar products. So one can be looking for a similar book and end up on the page for Joshua’s book.

4 Likes

@Michael_Callen has been more active at BioLogos lately than I have ;-). But I wouldn’t mind posting about this Op-Ed over there. @NLENTS, I do want to make sure I don’t misrepresent you or your position over there, so I’d like to have you take a look at a draft before I post over there.

Nathan Lents is a Professor of Biology and author (and an atheist) who is deeply interested in the success of Joshua Swamidass’s work on the Genealogical Adam and Eve. Dr. Lents is invested in seeing the general populace free to accept the scientific evidence of evolution without unnecessarily worrying about the impact of this acceptance on their religious beliefs. As many of you are aware, Swamidass’s book will be available soon and Lents has written an Op-Ed on the book for USA Today that will appear tomorrow (October 4). It will be interesting to see how this plays out since Lents is taking a serious risk in associating himself with Swamidass and the book. As TV announcers used to say, “Stay tuned!”

3 Likes

Wait till it comes out tomorrow though, so you can post a link of it there. Right @cwhenderson?

1 Like

I was thinking of starting the thread today and posting the link tomorrow, but I could certainly wait until it is out tomorrow.

2 Likes

On a humorous side note, after making sure I had notifications set for Lents and Swamidass on Twitter, my search screen now looks like this:

2 Likes

Grrrr… :wink:

I can send you the article later. I am on field trips and otherwise teaching all afternoon. But thanks for agreeing to post on Bio logos about this!

2 Likes

Oh I see that you wanted me to approve the draft, not see my draft, and I approve of what you wrote 100%

2 Likes

Great, thanks! I didn’t know if you’d prefer to have John Jay included or not…

3 Likes

On twitter, don’t forget this one too:

https://twitter.com/peacefulscience

This is the official PS twitter handle (@peacefulscience) and it is going to grow more active soon.

4 Likes

Break a leg Josh (or whatever the US literary equivalent of the UK actor’s good wishes are!).

Unfortunately it’s not out here until Dec 10th.

4 Likes

All well researched stuff on these issues is very welcome. it raises the issues and allows even more discussion. so god bless with gettting lots of attention even though as a YEC I don’t see any hope for mankind 's existence being explained except by Genesis.
lots of good comments EXCEPT one about race and racism. hopefully this is about science/possibly the bible, and not politics/social politics etc etc. One doesn’t need o stir up interest by red flag contentions.
I think this is cool . Maybe AIG and ICR will review it in their science magazines.
(hey do we on PS get free copies? Just kidding, just kidding)

3 Likes