Looking for sources on the information argument

I made this graphic a few years ago for a similar discussion, but the discussion wandered off before I had it ready, and I never used it.

The idea here is the white ring is a moat or valley of no function, surrounded by the blue area moderate function. The green island in the middle is region of high function.
The bubbles from D to C represent step-stones, or a bridge from moderate to high function (if it exist).
The arrows from A and B to C represent a recombination of features in the current population to “jump the moat” into high function. A (x1, y1) and B (x2,y2) recombine to make a new trait C (x2,y1) that did not exist before, crossing the valley.

This is a 2-dimension representation of how recombination can cross a “valley”. Evolution will be operating in higher dimensions (which I cannot illustrate) offering multiple opportunities to jump the valley.

At least I finally got to use this image. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I disagree completely and wonder how you can generalize Axe’s extrapolation from a single, poorly investigated case.

But just for fun, for how many of these cases have you personally examined the experimental data?

2 Likes

Can I use this in my lecture slides? With proper attribution, of course.

Of course, but bear in mind I am no sort of biologist. :slight_smile:

Now I recall my original line of thought. Points A and B represent point on a cartesian coordinates on a plane. Swapping coordinates allows a jump to point C. The analogy to trading alleles or sequences is similar, but it’s not limited to 2D solutions.

I don’t have a good way to describe the higher-dimension situation, and this is probably where I got stuck in my first effort with this graphic. In 3D the valley can also be jumped from above and below, but higher dimensions are a brain bender. The idea is that if sub-sequences of the high function sequence exist in the genome, then recombination can allow the no-function valley to be jumped.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

What I said is true and not that difficult to understand. There is no law of chemistry or physics that explains the DNA sequence, by which I mean the order of the bases. The chemical nature of atoms and molecules does not require or impose any particular order of the bases.

Your response boils down to “heredity” or “evolution”, which does not refute my claim at all. And, of course, you completely skip over the issue of abiogenesis, which is where the ID argument begins. You can’t have heredity without the means of replication, which requires information.

I’m getting the idea that you don’t understand the ID information argument very well.

There is no sequential information in Mt. Everest. You are trying to equate complexity with specified complexity.

Simple complexity: sdflkeoijb lkasd elifdkg iedlji ghckeq iemdboprn dkqzehd

Specified complexity: My username on the Peaceful Science forum is DaveB.

Specified complex information is functional, sequential information. Whether that is telling you my username, or specifying the order of nucleotides or amino acids in a functional rna product or protein.

The ID information argument includes Dembski’s “Explanatory Filter”.

(1) Does a law explain it? (2) Does chance explain it? (3) Does design explain it?

Law and chance can explain Mt. Everest, but not specified complex information.

I think you’ve completely missed my point.

I agree that once the rna or protein is formed, it operates due to chemistry.

I truly don’t understand how you can think that I don’t believe that DNA sequence matters.

What did I say that makes you think that?