Marty's testable ID hypothesis

Nope. I described a specific case. Why are you pretending that I made some sort of global claim?

The evidence seems not to matter to you either. Why is that?

I am, and note that you are doing anything but.

Is this an example of you letting your game doing the talking?

Really? You accuse me of cherry-picking, then do not offer a single case that contradicts it? Fascinating.

You could, instead, engage with the scientific method and the cryptic hypothesis you offered, but you’re ranting.

Because it’s there, Marty. You built in a false assumption that comes from your design hypothesis–that (try to read carefully here) protein interactions (quaternary structure) regulate catalytic activity POSITIVELY.

Your hypothesis is that these interactions are required to turn catalysis on. It’s just wrong, so it falsifies your tacit design hypothesis. That’s how we humans would design life, but it is rarely available to evolutionary mechanisms. The selective advantage conferred by a new catalytic activity (or range of activities) evolves first, then it is regulated, typically negatively.

Can you see that “negatively” is the polar opposite of “POSITIVELY”?

I quoted what you said and responded directly to it.

Or maybe I just don’t want people to spread false claims, based on false assumptions, about how biology actually works in real time.

You haven’t shown how I misread it, Marty.

It did:

Then when I challenged it, you falsely claimed that I was misrepresenting it, while removing the specifics:

I didn’t suggest anything at all about right or wrong locations of binding sites. I challenged something much more fundamental and revealing: your false claim about how those interactions regulate function:

It was not even close to what I wrote. It was a classic straw man.

And I did, with one of biology’s most-studied examples, myosin.

Your false claim:

For myosin, eliminating all quaternary structure preserves and enhances catalytic activity. It’s the sort of regulation we expect and observe routinely with the iterative mechanisms of evolution, but not with design.

I did. I don’t see how you could miss my point:

Do you see anything about locations of binding sites in there?

That’s not arrogant at all, right, Marty?

None, as a global statement.

That’s irrelevant to your claim. The falsehood of it is in what quaternary structure does.

Irrelevant. The falsehood of your claim is in what you claimed that binding does to catalytic activity.

I’m thinking that your Culture Warrior mentality is preventing you from reading what I wrote.

We can go to higher-order muscle structure and it gets even worse for your claim. Myosins do not simply transduce ATP hydrolysis to force generation in the much more direct way that your car burns gasoline to turn the crankshaft and wheels.

Can you name even a single protein complex in which the catalytic activity is shared between proteins, in that they have to be interacting for catalysis to occur?

Again, exceptions would be cases in which the interactions are required for catalytic activity. My point is that because you are assuming that these were designed, you are assuming that they are designed in the way that you might design them–to turn on. Evolution, as a rule (although there are certain to be rare exceptions) doesn’t have that option.

Fundamentally, your sentence is false.

I didn’t impose anything. You made the assumption that quaternary structure is required for enzymatic activity. It has nothing to do with wrong or right binding sites or their locations. Can you name a single case?

2 Likes