Mexican blind cavefish (Astyanax mexicanus)

Is the outcome of the roll of a die “directed”? Is the output of a random number generator “directed”?

No more so than the roll of the dice are directed.

Why don’t you explain what a random process of mutation would look like so we understand your model a bit better.

The correct answer has to be yes simply because the number of dots on the dice was pre-directed.

(My point is, dice will not win your argument here. Dice are by nature man-made.)

But of those available options, you agree the outcome is random?
Similarly, of all the mutations that can possibly occur (at every position in the genome), you agree that the outcome is random?

Positively not. The outcome of a pre directed number of dots cannot be random.

When your definition of “directed” includes known random processes, then your model has serious problems. What you have shown us is that you will say mutations are directed no matter what the evidence looks like. Directed mutations are unfalsifiable.

That is absolutely wrong. If these mutations were truly random then the ratios returned would be 1 E-5, 1E-6, 1E-11, 1E-2, 1E-8, 1E-13. They would be all over the place. That would properly describe randomness.

Don’t just cut off the first half of my sentence in your quote. I asked you out of the available options (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6), is the outcome random?

I answered that. The outcome if two die are used is never random. The outcome if 3 die are used is never random. The outcome if 1 die is used is never random.

Outcome = odds.

What are you talking about? I didn’t ask you about different numbers of dice. If you roll a single die, is the probability of rolling a 1 the same as rolling each of the other numbers?

yep…

If the odds of each outcome are equal, that means the outcome is random.

The process is random for sure. But not the outcome

You just admitted the outcome was random when you agreed that all the possible outcomes had the same probability.

No because I am quite sure that out of 100 rolls I will see 6 come up 16.7 times

And out of 10 billion bacteria I will find a mutation that is antibiotic resistant…to get us back on track.

This is absolutely uncanny. Unexpected. And positively, not random.

On average, yes. That’s a hallmark of randomness - equal distributions of large numbers of results.

If the mutation rate is 1 in every thousand bacteria, the genome size of the bacteria is 10 million bases, (and assuming that 1 particular mutation will bestow resistance), that outcome is precisely what would be expected if mutations were random.
And to be more precise, you’re not guaranteed to a resistant bacterium if you have 10 billion - that figure is the average. Sometimes you’ll find resistant bacteria in a population of 1 billion, sometimes only in 20 billion.

1 Like

That’s a start. Ok, so go on. You know what I am going to ask. So just go ahead…