Michael Egnor: The Evidence against Materialism

Hey @swamidass @Faizal_Ali @T_aquaticus @Michael_Callen @dga471 @Jordan @John_Harshman @DaleCutler @John_Dalton @Patrick @nwrickert @Rumraket

I’m not posting this in the new thread because one of the best rules of this place is that posts must stay on topic, but I think the hope you guys have for a constructive dialogue with Egnor is a bit overly optimistic. He’s one of the nastier characters at the DI. He’s no Klinghoffer (because he does have some credentials and expertise) but you probably shouldn’t expect the kind of thoughtful dialogue that you’ve seen from Gauger and Nelson.

Sorry to be a fly in the ointment, but here’s the kind of stuff that Egnor writes:

I despise Darwinism. It is, in my view, an utterly worthless scientific concept promulgated by a third-rate barnacle collector and hypochondriac to justify functional, if not explicit, atheism.

and

Darwin still has some cache [sic] among design advocates — the usual trope is that he provided evidence for common descent and explained microevolution. In this I differ from some of my friends and colleagues sympathetic to ID/Thomism. Darwin’s “theory” is completely worthless to science, a degradation of philosophy, and lethal to culture.

and

“Natural selection” is meaningless junk science — dismal logic put to the service of atheism. Darwinism is the most effective engine of atheism in modern times, except perhaps for consumer culture, for which Darwin bears some responsibility. “Survival of the fittest” casts a scientific imprimatur on acquisition as a life-goal.

and

So why does this idiot “science” gain such respect?

and

And that is the meaning of Darwinism. This worthless science, idiot philosophy, and cultural rot is the creation myth of atheists, and homage is paid, as a duty, to the prophet and to his priests. Darwinian idolatry would be funny, if not for the trail of misery and horror Darwin left in his wake.

You can read one of his unhinged nasty rants here:

9 Likes

I have been involved in direct exchanges with Egnor before. I am under no illusions about what to expect. An invitation to him is still the right thing to do.

5 Likes

ah ok. I’ve had that displeasure as well. Good luck!

1 Like

The only thing left out of the Darwinian pilgrimage to Oxford is Golgotha. That requires a separate trip to southern Poland, to understand the sacrifice Darwinism demanded, and still demands, of us.

On second thought, I wouldn’t let this guy operate on my brain.

3 Likes

Some one just has to inform him that we moved on from “Darwinism” back in 1968, probably back when he was in high school.

1 Like

17 posts were split to a new topic: Darwinism and Social Darwinism

We have diverged. @moderators should split this side track into a new thread.

Ha! @dga471 was already on it. Great job.

This was an interesting talk that touched on some related issues, from a neuroscientist apparently of a more naturalistic bent :slight_smile: His new book sounds good.