Mitochondrial Barcodes: An Adam-Eve Bottleneck 200,000 Years Ago?

I will point out another example, at the very least, of confused writing. They lay out to options:

1. mitochondrial and Y chromosomes clonality occurred at the same time, i.e., consistent with the extreme bottleneck of a founding pair,

2. or via sorting within a founding population of thousands that was stable for tens of thousands of years

These are both the same scenario. This is not an either-or, so of course science can’t discriminate it. Moreover, mitochondrial and Y-Chromosome “clonality” (but they must mean coalescence, not clonality) does not need to be at the same time to be consistent with a bottleneck. It is nearly impossible to untangle their meaning in sentences like this because they do no appear to really understand population genetics.

It bears repeating and redisplaying some prior discussion on this with @AJRoberts about @purposenation’s podcast.

Of note, William Lane Craig emailed me the other day with NewsMax article (someone had forwarded it to him). He immediately recognized it was bogus, to his credit, and new exactly why. This is not rocket science.

5 Likes