Neolithic Y Chromosome Bottleneck

3 Likes

Many of the commenters on this one are the people that got run off of the Eurogenes blog for being cranks,
but the graphic on this article is much better than that on the Eurogenes blog…

I suggest to you all that this is a signature of something hinted at in Genesis Chapter six. An excerpt from “Early Genesis, the Revealed Cosmology” explains…

The word “Nephilim” actually means “feller”, or one who causes to fall. That might be in the sense of a big strong person who physically knocks people over, but it could also be in the sense of a conqueror or an accomplished person. It could even be in a spiritual sense in that these “big men” of old helped to corrupt the rest of the descendants of Adam. Regardless of their physical size, they were “big men” in the way we use that term today. It says that they were men of renown. They took down obstacles and got things done. “Movers and shakers” is another modern term which applies.

It has long been noted that the Indo-European gods, from Scandinavia and Rome to India, have commonalities in their lore as if they all sprang from tales of the same men. Perhaps their chiefs were among the other “sons of Elohim” who took wives from the daughters of Adam and produced the “mighty men of old” who were “men of renown”.

So it is not necessary to invent any fanciful stories of angels breeding with human women to explain the Nephilim. We can stick with the understanding that Christ gave us about angels in Matthew 22:30:
“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.”

And from the “Anthropological Epilogue”

The idea is that as the “sons of Elohim” found wives in the daughters of Adam the genes and practices of the children of Adam spread. If the offspring of these unions were “men of renown” we might expect that genetic signature to be selected for and experience rapid growth. So we would be looking at an early expansion of these genes characterized by the male Y chromosome offspring being no different than that of the original groups, but the other genes showing differences. The mtDNA and the autosomal genetic signature of the ruling class of these people would reflect the contribution of Basal Eurasian on the female side but not the male side.

1 Like

These results have been surmised before. There are two “lobes” of expansion. On the northern one the chromosomes are more ‘narrowed’ than on the southern one…

1 Like

@Revealed_Cosmology

This 10,000 year bottleneck in the Y chromosome tells us that there was a sudden loss of diversity in the male contributions to the next generations. This would be quite consistent with the perfection of tribal-sustained warfare, to obtain new territories and the women the new territories contained.

Can you think of anything else that would account for the sudden loss of male contribution?

1 Like

Sure, though I think the other accounts for a lot of it. Suppose some males found ways to greatly increase their wealth. They had superior seeds for grain or better breeds of domestic animals or were experts in crafting metals. Women have always been attracted to rich guys as long as there have been rich guys. So I think the peaceful side of the expansion, which the J lobe looks a little more like, could be a result of women of all tribes flocking to the “winners” in the tribes that had all this figured out first.

In the same way, Amerindians experienced a loss of Y-chromo diversity in excess of MTDNA diversity. Warfare was a part of that, but another part is that a lot of Amerindian women wound up with the guys giving away the beads.

@Revealed_Cosmology

If I were to weight the two contributions to a Y-bottleneck (of an unknown size, but seems to be rather broad in geographical expanse!), warfare is one of the usual ways for a man to become a bead-donor to women of all preferences.

Using Pareto-based analysis, I would not be surprised if 80% of the Y-bottleneck is due to warfare … and the remaining 20% being relatives or sons of victorious warlords.

Hi @swamidass,

When I read the fascinating article you linked to, the words of Genesis 6:11 instantly came to mind: “Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence.” Maybe the text in Genesis is based on an orally transmitted cultural memory of events that happened 7,000 years ago. Who knows?

3 Likes

I too believe that we can find clues to ancient events in the oral traditions/legends found in so many cultures around the world. For example, I have long wondered if the Titans of Greek and Roman mythology were exaggerated versions [stories get better and the heroes bigger with many centuries of retelling] of ancient memories concerning those “men of renown” of Genesis 6.

1 Like