On Free Will: Dennett and Caruso go head to head

Canā€™t believe Iā€™m saying this but Iā€™m (mostly) with Dennet on this one.

Note that I didnā€™t read the whole debate, Iā€™m just saying that I agree on the basic principle of free will.

3 Likes

I had not planned to read the debate, until you posted your comment. The free will debates become tiresome after a while.

So I followed your example and read it (or skimmed), and I do mostly agree with Dennett. Thatā€™s not a surprise for me. Dennett usually gets free will reasonably correct.

3 Likes

Dennettā€™s position is perfect. Given the data we have to work with!: ā€œMoral Agency exists, because we have the ā€˜freedom to chooseā€™ ā€¦ but this ā€˜freedomā€™ isnt really what we think it is!ā€

Ironically, it was Dennettā€™s position on ā€œnon-freeā€ free will that personally convinced me that a God exists!

I concluded that consciousness is wasted on a being that lacks Moral Agency AND Freedomā€¦ and that only a deity could make both things true for humanity!

2 Likes

I feel that whether there is free will and whether one should be praised/punished are unrelated.

In a deterministic universe without free will, punishment and praise are the deterministic consequences of certain actions. There is no ā€œmorally responsibleā€ here because there is no choice, yet a person is punished/praised because the equations of motion said so!

It is perfectly coherent to have punishment/praise in a society even if the universe turns out to be deterministic and without free will. Further, I think it doesnā€™t make sense to say that if there is no free will then someone does not ā€œdeserveā€ praise/punishment because in such a universe there is no definition of ā€œdeservesā€ other than that demanded by determinism.

4 Likes

This is an important point. And it is a point often ignored by critics of free will. Too often, I see them arguing that because the criminal did not have free, therefore we must use the free will that we presumably donā€™t have to change the penalty for that crime. They donā€™t see the contradiction.

Your way of putting it does avoid that problem.

3 Likes