One Example of Engaging Parents of YECs

The talk I am pointing you was this Fall, when I was the main speaker for FaithAscent, an apologetics ministry. About half their constituency is YEC, about one third is home schooled, and most the rest are ID and OEC. At the time I gave this, DI was publishing (largely friendly) critiques of my work. Several people in their constituency were unsettled.

Still, @JSmith asked me to give the main fundraising talk. Many of them had heard about me from their children. (I am a speaker at their summer boot camp). Jeremy wrote this phenomenal invitation to the banquet: Jeremy Smith: I Disagree with Dr. Swamidass, which is worth reading before you watch the video.

The reason I’m pointing you to this is because this was a talk that entered into the controversy with YEC parents, and it was received well by them. They raised quite a bit of money. As I understand it, there was not major complaints from people. The way @JSmith explained it: “It just seemed like everyone left feeling happy.” Something like a weight being lifted.

The Video (With Disclaimers)

A few disclaimers.

1. I have a style that is not for everyone.
  2. This is a context (main speaker at a fundraiser) that is not for everyone.
  3. I have personal beliefs that are not agreed to by everyone.
  4. I am rhetoric that is not for everyone.
  5. I certainly have room to improve, and this is not even the best example of my work.

With that, here is the video of the talk:

The Questions

1. What were the fears of the parents that I addressed, and how did I do it?
  2. What sorts of common ground were established and how?
  3. How did I reframe their reasons for wanting to reject my personal views?
  4. What was the “better society” I described and pointed them to?
  5. What was the actions and risks I invited them into? (ignoring the fundraising appeal)

And then finally:

1. What might work in your context?

Of course, this is not an exam, nor is it a test. I also am not normative “model” everyone should follow. Focus on the questions that are most helpful for you, and ignore the rest. Or give me your own take on this. I’m curious also what @jordan, @Troendle and @cwhenderson think about this, as they are in a similar situation.