One Race, One Blood?

To be specific, Genesis describes the man and woman, i.e the humanity created by God as bearing his image.
Since you like languages, I would like to point out an interesting fact. In my mother tongue (Malayalam) and many Indian languages, the word for humanity is manushyan. This is connected to “Manu” who Indians equate with the first man. So I am not very confused with how the Jews would have used the word Adam to refer to all human beings.

In the biblical sense, I believe Adam is not just the first man. He is also a representative of ALL human beings. If only Adam had the imago dei, and other human like beings outside the garden did not . Then those creatures outside the Garden were not human.

So if Adam existed 5000 years ago, then the people in the Harappan civilization, ancient China etc were not human. This is a severe issue.
One cannot hide behind the biological idea of “humanity” and say they were human while not being human.

This is appreciated. I have done the same things sometimes and found myself having to “clarify” numerous times. I get how that feels. However I am not convinced this particular interpretation is in line with biblical text because of the problems I have cited.

Not at all. The Genealogical Adam & Eve idea harmonizes with the Apostle Paul just fine! Read Acts 17:26 again. It says that every nation is “of one blood.” That conforms perfectly with GAE.

GAE conforms with that also.

However someone chooses to define the Imago Dei, GAE poses no conflict with the Image of God concept.

Once again you are forcing terminology which I don’t use (i.e… “humanity” in this case.)

Moreover, are other primates under “separation from God” with no options? No.

Even though it is not required for membership status, I will certainly agree that it is a quite common trait.

Of course, it does. ADAM appears both with and without the definite article H-.

It is only a “severe issue” if someone demands a strict timeframe, such as the 5000 years ago figure. (Of course, even those who ascribe to Ussher’s chronology assert a 6000 years ago number—though that still runs into conflict with all sorts of historical evidence and timelines.)

And that’s one of many reasons why I refuse to use the terminology you want me to use.

And that kind of respectful discussion is one of the many reasons why Peaceful Science exists.

1 Like