Paul Price: What are the Substantive Critiques of Genetic Entropy?

I’m going to make a few points, but I do not have time to spend here at PS right now, so don’t expect me to respond much to replies:

1. Yes, there is a disturbingly high mutation rate in humans, which would lead to a too-high mutational load. Possible explanations (a.) we’ve got the mutation rate wrong, or (b.) it was lower in prehistory, or (c.) the Earth is only 6,000 years old, and The End Is Nigh, and almost all of the geology and astronomy of the last 300 years is massively wrong.

2. It is not established that there is a comparable problem in all, or even most, other forms of life.

3. Yes, in any organism where the genome is even moderately well-adapted, more mutations (far more) will be deleterious than will be favorable. That just follows from the genome being much better than random.

4. Having far more deleterious than advantageous mutations does not predict that the same is true of substitutions in evolution. Population genetics calculations show that natural selection can discriminate against deleterious mutations, and do so very strongly. It is telling that PDPrice does not grapple with this.

5. As for weakly selected mutations whose selection coefficients are less than 1/(4N) in absolute value, it is very very hard to collect information on what fraction of those are deleterious.

6. On theoretical grounds, we would expect that as the genome accumulates weakly deleterious mutations, the opportunity for them to be reversed by advantageous mutations would go up (just as the accumulation of minor and not disastrous typos in a book will increase the opportunity for advantageous typos).

7. History: Motoo Kimura and Tomoko Ohta, when they put forward models of probability distributions of advantageous and deleterious mutations, were making an approximation. They were well aware that as mean fitness changed, the distributions would actually change. And no, they were not concerned with rescuing evolutionary biology from collapse, they were actually debating with other population geneticists about what fraction of substitutions, and what fraction of polymorphism, were neutral or nearly-neutral.

8. The 2016 Current Opinions In Pediatrics article linked to by PDPrice is oblivious to the evidence for most of the genome being junk DNA.

8 Likes

I am unaware of this being anything approaching what is required to justify this:

Honestly, I’m not sure what you mean by “disturbingly high mutation rate in humans.” Perhaps @glipsnort can clarify.

1 Like

It would be helpful if you could clear up this misunderstanding.

Who suggests this? I don’t know of any biologists who say this.

Junk DNA is not an assumption. It is a conclusion drawn from the evidence. Specifically, 90% of the human genome is accumulating mutations at a rate consistent with neutral drift which indicates a lack of function. I think you should read Graur’s entire article to understand why ENCODE got it so wrong:

A simple way to solve this problem is to point to data that supports your claims. We don’t want to see quotes, but citations of papers that have the actual data. As of now, there is no reason to conclude that the majority of neutral mutations are slightly deleterious to such an extent as to lower fitness as they accumulate.

3 Likes

I am NOT interested in this, and really want the discussion to focus on what @PDPrice wrote. I read his response with deep skepticism, because I am fairly sure that knowledgeable critics of GE are not being accurately represented in those comments. Can we please focus on that?

2 Likes

This is a rather large admission, even though it may be couched in sarcasm. Beyond question-begging, is there any evidence for A or B? Why would the mutation rate for humans go up over time (but not for animals)?

Is it not true that for rather selfish reasons, humans are probably more well-studied than most other forms of life, excluding things like lab rats, fruit flies, and bacteria?

If neutral theory is correct (and @glipsnort has approved of it here), why would we suspect that the genome would be much better than “random”? Neutral theory states that drift, not selection, is the main driving force of evolution.

I do grapple with this. What you have just said here is in direct contradiction of neutral theory. The other population geneticist here, Dr. Schaffner, has contradicted you on this point.

Yes, that’s true, at least directly. However, what reason would we have not to think that the DFE for small mutations would be substantially similar to that for larger ones? As I’ve stated earlier, this is a kind of ‘beneficial mutations of the gaps’ type argument. Everything we can actually test shows a highly negative distribution. So does the general principle that “it’s easier to break a machine than to improve upon it”. This truth isn’t going to suddenly stop existing just because we’re talking about small changes rather than large ones. In fact, I think it applies even more to small changes.

I responded to this here. Back mutations would only be helpful if the surrounding context was still intact. But in a case of a huge mutational load such as what you’re suggesting, this would be increasingly unlikely.

To my knowledge, nobody has produced a DFE that even attempts to model beneficials alongside deleterious mutations. Beneficials are understood to be so rare as to be “outside the model”.

This is an entire other debate. I do not believe in Junk DNA and neither do an increasing segment of the secular scientific community.

See how much easier it is to have mildly deleterious mutations than mildly beneficial ones?

This question, the so-called “mutation load paradox,” is the focus of ongoing research by people I know very well, and these researchers propose that drift barrier theory is the solution. The work has been presented publicly (at Evolution meeting last year) but is currently unpublished.

3 Likes

But not as high as to indicate a 6,000 year old earth…

1 Like

Are you serious here? Do you think neutral theory implies that the genome should be random?

4 Likes

I could if I had time – I have to write a talk on data I haven’t analyzed yet(*). There’s a long history here of trying to understand the implications of mutational load for humans, going back in particular to a paper by Nachman and Crowell (Genetics 156: 297–304 (September 2000)), and farther than that to debates between Bruce Wallace and Jim Crow about the subject. It’s what led to Dan Graur’s argument (which he has since retracted in light of the paper below) that most of the human genome couldn’t be functional. I think much of the debate is misguided – and I disagree with Joe’s point 1 – for reasons laid out in this paper: https://academic.oup.com/gbe/article/12/4/273/5762616

(*) About real mutations in real organisms that really kill people. Some things are more important than others.

ETA: Oh, and any calculation of the effect of genetic load has to take into account the difference between hard selection and soft selection and how large the role of each is in purifying selection on humans – which is of course something we don’t really have an estimate of.

8 Likes

Have you… Looked?

Literally off the top of my head is this paper I studied back in a population genetics class years ago:

8 Likes

Genetic drift is supposed to be random. Thus how can it be adaptive? At some point selection has to kick in.

That’s easy. The word ‘adaptive’ refers to an outcome. The path to that outcome is not relevant.

3 Likes

Neutral theory doesn’t reject the existence of selection.

4 Likes

So you’re saying that evolution is guided by haphazard “random” changes that just so happen to be adaptive (blind, dumb luck). Neutral theory states that most changes in evolution are not guided by selection. Unsurprisingly, people find this incredible when they finally come to understand what is being said.

It does however state that selection plays a lesser role in comparison to drift. Thus, we would not expect the genome to be much better than “random” (as @Joe_Felsenstein said). We would only expect it to be slightly better.

Evidence for the claim in bold, please. Do note that, for example, the publications put out by ENCODE acknowledge a significant fraction of non-functional DNA.

3 Likes

That’s OK then. I was worried for a moment. :slight_smile:

Without bias is there a path?

This is really not true at all.

4 Likes