Phylogeny - Help me see what you see

Your references here don’t actually address the point. They point to large changes in morphology, but these are not inherently incompatible with the mechanisms of microevolution. A change in a single nucleotide is a microevolutionary process, regardless of the scale of the change in morphology such a mutation might cause.

3 Likes

Of course, the people most dogmatically committed to Neo-Darwinian understanding of evolutionary theory are the members of the ID movement.

Could you specify how you understand Davidson’s model to involve something other than microevolutionary processes?

1 Like

Yes that does seem to just keep happening to you, leaving you perpetually confused, and letting us know at innumerable opportunities. But rather than act like another clone of Henry Morris (who composed an entire book consisting of nothing but quotemines), perhaps if you read more from the author you’re quoting you’d get to some actual explanation.

It is common practice for scientists to give an introduction to a question or problem they are doing work to address or explain (and some times even to exaggerate it for effect, to make it look all the more impressive when they solve it), just as it is common practice for ID-creationists to quote only the posing of the historical problem, and then to stop the quotation before actual exposition of the solution begins.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I am not a guru of evolutionary theory so I don’t know the author of your citation. Can you kindly share it?

The author also makes pretty odd statements like this:

We know mechanisms that generate new phenotypes and they all involve mutation and/or recombination.

Everyone agrees selection is insufficient to explain all evolutionary changes. Things like drift, plasticity, evolvability have been added to the repertoire of mechanisms capable of producing evolutionary change.

Mutation and recombination are the substrates for evolutionary novelties, so its unclear (to me) what the author means by acceleration of innovations. Speeding up mutation rates increases genetic diversity within a population paving the way for new phenotypes to emerge (as we see in RNA viruses like HIV), so is this what the author meant?

We had billions of years to get to where we are. The wait was kinda worth it, don’t you agree?

1 Like

True. It isn’t intended to. It’s intended to be an example of a macroevolutionary process that isn’t reducible to microevolution. “The generation of dozens of new phyla” is accomplished through microevolutionary processes.

It’s a problem, but not a problem that involves anything other than mutation, selection, etc. The problem is in figuring out what kind of mutations can happen, what their effects would be, what sort of selection would be attendant on them, and what sort of pathway of changes could lead from one body plan to another. All that is not in any way in contradiction to the idea that change happens through known microevolutionary processes; it’s just looking at the nature of the input.

I don’t, unless it’s Gould. I disagree, though. We don’t need a new principle; we just need to understand how genotype leads to phenotype and how the environment affects (or effects) selection.

Do you know of any proposed principles of that sort? Why would one be necessary?

1 Like

see my comment here:

Thanks for the clarity and genuineness of your questions.

I’m concerned that this particular thread has become a morass, for a few reasons. It is highlight to me that I should probably write more about this, and give you an understandable and orderly account.

2 Likes
1 Like