Probability of the Existence of God

Homeopathy proponents want to sell their solutions as an alternative to regular medicine. If a Christian says the same thing - you should just pray instead of taking medicine, then I would agree that that’s bunk.

The moment you involve prayer, then that adds a psychological component.

Exactly, because as demonstrated in this thread you misunderstand what the purpose of prayer is. As Masters explained, IP studies are answering the wrong question(s).

I disagree. You may have a peculiar view of Christianity due to your own local context. Reformed Christians (my tradition) are generally cessationist and are generally skeptical of miracle claims today. As I said, Pentecostals and charismatics may believe what you said, but they don’t represent everyone.

Because the prophets of Baal were turning the people of Israel away from their intended God for whom they were set apart. The OT doesn’t close off the possibility of existence of other gods, by the way. It’s just that if these others gods exist, Israel is supposed to worship Yahweh alone.

And when Jesus was on the cross, people taunted him, saying: "You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross.” (Mt. 27:40).

Yet God did not save Jesus from death on the cross. I wonder why? Does that mean the death of Christ shows God doesn’t exist, too? Perhaps as a Catholic you can answer the puzzle yourself.

By definition, one who worships other gods violates the first commandment. They are not righteous.

Because Baal worship is forbidden by God from the beginning. Elijah’s public demonstration was not the main basis for deciding between Baal and Yahweh. Elijah had no obligation to consider the merits of Baal worship impartially like a scientist would. He was a prophet commissioned by God.

I don’t believe in true chance. God is in control of all events in the universe, both the ones you prayed for and the ones you didn’t. And this question again evinces that you don’t understand the purpose of prayer. You seem to treat it as a mechanism and a transactional tool. I think of it as part of what it means to have a relationship with God.

Those who claim that IP improves outcome in a simplistic way are just wrong in the beginning.

1 Like