Questions on Genesis From Croker

Thank you for your input.

I know as humans we all grab on to data that helps validate our leanings or belief system. Myself included. I always try my best to check what others profess, and with you being a mathematics man.

Is there any validity in the below link?

If true and validated, I would consider it a watermark like on a bank note of Gods signature on inspiration of the said txt.

It would be great to have the opinion of a math guy who has no agenda?

https://sites.google.com/site/mathematicalmonotheism/ordinal-genesis-1-1-john-1-1-triangle

Thank you for your reply.

G

No. It’s numerological garbage. There are so many possible mathematical coincidences and ways of calculating values that you can get results that are just as seemingly impressive (but actually meaningless) from any text.

I have a huge bag full of small tiles. I pull one of the tiles out and it has the number 9544682 on it. With just this information, what is the probability I would draw a tile with that number on it?

To make that a fully rhetorical question, I will tell you that you can’t calculate the probability. First, you don’t know how many tiles are in the bag, even if you could estimate it. More importantly, you don’t know what the numbers on the other tiles are. For all you know, they could all have the same number.

The same applies for fine tuning. We simply don’t know if there is an infinite range of possibilities for the starting conditions of our universe. We have an n of 1 and no idea of how universes form. We simply can’t calculate any probabilities of getting a universe like ours.

It could just as well be a built in human bias that leads us to false conclusions.

What evidence would you need in order to conclude that chimps and humans are the same kind?

No one has observed a supernatural deity creating a cell.

1 Like

So?

I don’t know, neither do physicists or you. If you think its God, please provide the necessary empirical data to support your claim.

Humans (well, many of them) are exceptional within specific contexts like intellectual capacity, but in other contexts other organisms are exceptional as well.

Which lawgiver and how do you know?

Theoretically, we could mate with chimps and produce offspring (although they might be infertile).

Your definition is also quite narrow. Snakes can’t produce offspring with Agama lizards, so does it mean they don’t belong to the same reptile kind? Finches cannot produce offspring with eagles, so does it mean they don’t belong to the same bird kind?

Finally, your definition has no basis in reality. Two different, extant species don’t have to produce viable offspring via cross-mating before they can be said to have shared a common ancestor in the past. As two organisms separate after splitting from an ancestor, they accumulate differences over time which would most likely prevent them from cross-mating and/or making viable, fertile offspring.

Look around you, microorganisms are the domineering life forms on earth. We can’t even live without them. For example, Vitamin K is synthesized by bacteria living in your gut, without which you would have bled uncontrollably to death long ago. Microorganisms (including) viruses are among the most successful life forms on earth.

You claimed that evolutionary biologists (which include many devout Christians) and creationists see the same data, but interpret it differently based on their differing “worldviews”. So I gave you a little exercise to test that claim.

Put simply, before administering both drugs, everyone in the clinical trial had the same high blood pressure (100mmHg). The trial participants were split into two groups: one group received drug A and the other received drug B. On average, drug A lowered blood pressure in the group it was given from 100mmHg to 70mmHg, while drug B reduced blood pressure from 100mmHg to 40mmHg in the group it was given. Which drug performed better?

This has nothing to do with the exercise on data interpretation I gave you.

We are not discussing atheism so your remarks on Anthony Flew are irrelevant. If you want a formal discussion on his work then create a new thread for that.

~0.000000052385

Such problems were tackled regularly during WWII. See The German Tank problem.

Sure, this requires making some assumptions. But so does any probability calculation, and the ones made here aren’t that different from the ones made in calculating the probability of rolling a six with a dice.

But we can calculate the probability that a universe like ours was got: 1.0.

That would be false. The chances of getting a tile with that number on it are 1 in 1 because all the tiles have the same number.

But is entirely unsatisfactory to geologists and physicists. That’s is another questions though, and there are many other threads here discussing it.

To All, may I suggest that probability and other side arguments are not helpful to this discussion, and we have all been down those roads before. Let Gary have his say, and note objections without chasing down all the familiar rabbit-holes. :slight_smile:

To me, it looks like nonsense (or like numerology, which is a form of nonsense). I’m pretty sure that someone could do the same sort of thing with “Alice In Wonderland” as was done with the Bible.

Somatic mutations that can be passed on to progeny. So possibly also inevitable death genes passed on in our genetics? That’s how the scriptures explain we inherited death from the first Man. It’s always bugged me why we love, and then that love is tormented by death.

I was just curious how from a baby we grow in strength, coordination and height physically. Then at some point we start deteriorating. Is their a identifiable difference in the mutations from when we are growing to when we are deteriorating?

Yes I agree, we can’t calculate the probability, but can we reason that a intelligence does know, even though we never met him yet. That someone is the one who loaded up the bag of tiles and numbered them. Even knew how they would all fit together in a unified way?

Thanks Roy!

Even though I can’t wrap my head around something coming from nothing. Especially the living cell which is such a complex organism itself, a self producing factory with all it’s different components, I really don’t have a hatred for people who do not believe in God because I have not lived their lives and believe that is how knowledge is increased is by looking at both sides and challenge what I think I know with the ones who profess a different take on things. I even challenge my perceived understanding of scripture with other believers that profess doctrines that have to be imagined into scripture.
Example: There is not one demon possessed person in the 4000 years before the Hellenistic era of the New Testament. So I believe this is a cultural belief based on the human psyche of the time. If there is a God ( intelligence ) he does not change, the only thing that changes doctrines is the imaginations of mans perception.
As a human we are all suggestible and or programmed to believe in narratives unless you have the ability to step outside of it all and see what really is going on. You may get called crazy for not agreeing with the majority, yet I am being true to myself based on the understanding that I have at that present time. I have believed things that I don’t believe anymore.
I not here to convince anyone of anything, I’m here to convince myself. The something from nothing with all its complexities takes very intelligent men and women to fathom it. There are intelligent people ( not myself ) on here that believe and intelligent people that don’t.
So I get the best of both sides of the narratives of understanding.

On this site, I can hear and consider both sides. The one thing I do know is that if the Bible is right about Gods character, I perceive that the empirical evidence you all desire will be evident when he steps in. That’s the claim of the book and all your knowledge will be utilised to make the world a better place. The earth itself is fine, it’s just us as a collective all condemning each other with our take on what’s best.
There can only be one absolute truth. We measure intelligence based on a measuring stick of each other’s ideas and reasonings. IF it turns out there is a God and you get to work with him, regardless of where your mindset is now. I’m sure you will be happy and not upset.

Thanks for looking at this, I thought it may be too good to be true.
As you all know the engineering in the cell or how it functions is amazing in itself, I was looking for a signature of the same engineering in scripture.

Really appreciate you looking at it for me.

Sorry my friend maybe I was unclear, what I actually meant was with opposing views, that the interpretation of data from your perspective leads you your belief.

I have different data ( biblical ) that I am looking at for the same answers to our existence.

Meaning that it all comes down to interpretation of data. There is me that believes that the universe can not manifest itself from nothing and the more I look into laws of nature and life. The more I am amazed. The data is in this old book telling me I won’t search it out, it is beyond me.

Then there are those with no belief in a God that have the same desire to work it out and believe that it is not beyond them. We share the amazement but have different data starting points in our belief systems. Therefore different interpretations on the beginning of the universe.

Sorry, I’m not here to offend. One of the first gentleman that replied to me, informed me, he was a atheist. The question about Antony Flew was sent to him for a insight of what a atheist’s perspective is of a atheist that changed his mind.

I already knew the opposite perspective in the creationist world view. Just wanted to know that, if Antony Flew found his evidence for a change of mind. Why it didn’t satisfy current atheist’s.

The gentleman kindly gave me a answer and even educated me on how to use this site when replying.

G

Somatic mutations are not passed on. Only germline mutations (those in egg and sperm) [can be] passed on. [edit at the suggestion of @Michael_Okoko ]

What you are describing is inventing fantasy, not reason.

Actually, isn’t that what you believe in?

Abiogenesis, if it occurred, would have started with existing matter. No one is saying that the first cell came from nothing.

1 Like

No, somatic mutations aren’t passed on to progeny. You are confused.

There was no “first Man”. Species do not arise from single individuals, as a rule. Death is an inevitable feature of life, all life. Get over it.

No.

2 Likes

The ‘scientific hydroplate theory’ is neither scientific nor a theory. Also, it would superheat the atmosphere, so not a plausible explanation.

1 Like

No they can’t.

This is wrongheaded. Scientists do science by formulating and testing hypotheses, not interpreting data from any perspective. Evolutionary biology is a scientific discipline, utilizing the same scientific approach. You let the data lead you to a conclusion, not the other way around.

The Bible isn’t data. It is chock full of claims like those of Noah’s flood or a single genetic ancestral pair of all modern humans when taken literally. Unfortunately, decades of scientific research has failed to find supporting evidence for the claims of young earth creationism (which I suspect you cling to?).

Define nothing?

The stories of Genesis and the flood are historical claims not data.

This thread is not meant for discussing atheism or Anthony Flew. If you want to discuss either, create a new thread or ask moderators to do that for you.

I think you meant to say “only germline mutations can be passed down”, since not all germline mutations are passed down. Forgive my quibbling.

I’m not sure you’ve had enough time to check all of them…

Hi Gary,
I am intrigued by your thought process. If you believe this:

then why do you ask the question below?

On what basis do you trust the interpretation that Genesis 1 requires that the earth is only 6000 years old?

I believe scripture is inspired yet also believe that man has added and taken away from it literally as well as in doctrinal interpretation.

I would be more than happy to be corrected with any insight you have?

What is your belief as regards a young earth?

G

No I am saying I can’t believe that life just appeared without reason or intelligence behind it.
If you do not believe in a creator, it is you who believes something came from nothing. That’s what I can’t wrap my head around.
My evidence is we are here and the smartest people in the scientific world, can not explain it.

Where does the existing matter have come from?
I have only heard that experiments are conducted and no validated proof of a living cell has been created. All the ingredients for these experiments are conducted with the ingredients we already have. Doesn’t explain where everything ( matter ) came from.

You took the context out of that statement.
There are other words after that sentence.
We are here and exist. What is your explanation for all the science and engineering you have discovered that actually was in that bag of tiles? All the laws of exist, so how unless a intelligence set the boundaries of them all just so we could exist within them and contemplate our existence?

Thanks for the education, so is that is how we get our uniqueness from each other?

There was a man and a woman. Sperm and a egg.
So, please I ask this in sincerity, can anyone not see that evolutionists say snakes evolved and lost their legs.

The Bible txt from thousands of years ago, say they were removed and the animal will eat dust.
None of us were around and I’m sure there weren’t no modern studies on the anatomy of a snake even 1000 years ago. For me God beat us as a collective to the fact that snakes did have legs before and explains why the animal now doesn’t thousands of years ago.

The prophecy of a thousand years for each day of creation in chapter 1, the first sentence.

Isaiah says God told the end at the beginning.

All I have to go on is Gods word, which you don’t accept? You do not accept it, yet thousands of years ago his word knew about people who would be wise in their own eyes and not accept there was a God.

Isaiah 29: 14-16
Therefore behold, I will once again deal marvelously with this people, wondrously marvelous;
And the wisdom of their wise men will perish,
And the discernment of their discerning men will be concealed.”
Woe to those who deeply hide their plans from the Lord,
And whose deeds are done in a dark place,
And they say, “Who sees us?” or “Who knows us?”
You turn things around!
Shall the potter be considered as equal with the clay,
That what is made would say to its maker, “He did not make me”

You claim God did not make us. We are the clay! This was written thousands of years ago before evolution was even a theory.

We are here and exist and are conscious of our uniqueness. What’s your explanation? Or evidence?

Do other organisms just function or are the able to think and reason as we do as humuns?

The laws you all work with are constant, precise which all points to design. The house across the road to you had a a planner and builder, do you know him? Did you see him build it? Probably not! Does he exist? Of course he does.
We all live in a house that has been furnished for human habitation, have you met the builder? No, Does he exist? Of course he does.

Theoretically? So if life is evolving into different life forms and we have been here for aeons of time, theoretically we should all be seeing real life forms evolving and happening all the time in front of our eyes because every day is aeons away from the beginning of life. What animals are evolving into another type right now?

Thanks for looking at it. I will try and find another math guy to double confirm it’s nonsense.

500 years ago a man said that he was going to build a ship and fly it in the sky. Everyone laughed at him and said it was not possible, it was not a idea to be entertained.

The hydroplate theory explains so much but is not compatible with your theory. So we will have to agree to disagree.

Have you ever considered the Bible was written a long time before we discovered a lot of the science that is actually written in its pages? Them claims were scientifically true!

Species do not arise from single couples, as a rule.

Most of the creationists here think that the snake in question wasn’t a snake at all, just Satan in disguise. Not you? But if snakes are intended, it’s an obvious deduction from the fact that snakes look a lot like lizards without legs. Of course they must have lost them. But it’s millions of years ago, not thousands.

There is no science in the bible. You have been misinformed. And of course similar claims have been made for the Quran and various Hindu scriptures. That should make you more circumspect.