Randal Rauser: Is the Atheist My Neighbor?

Disclaimer Yesterday, I apparently reached the maximum number of 1-day comments allowed for a new commenter. Hence, the delay in my further comments.

Evangelical/Progressive is a continuum. For example, in the United Kingdom, I’d simply be an evangelical and much of what passes for “evangelical” in the United States would be classified by (many) Brits as fundamentalist. (Canada sort of splits the difference.)

So what’s the difference? Perhaps the easiest thing is to give some examples:

I reject the literal-where-possible hermeneutic which treats so-called “literal” reading as the default approach to Bible interpretation.

Consequently, I find default “literal” interpretations of Genesis 1-3 or the millennium in Revelation 20 to be implausible (at best).

This leaves me fully reconciled to theistic evolution as the means by which God brought around cosmic existence and biological diversity.

I critique penal substitution as an adequate theory of atonement (much to the chagrin of many Calvinists).

I don’t have any political allegiance, certainly not that which would be called “Republican” in the United States.

I have pointed out that there are multiple difficulties with the concept of biblical inerrancy and thus it is inadvisable to use the term as a simplistic boundary marker between evangelical insiders and outsiders.

I am an annihilationist (that is, posthumous punishment occurs by way of a resurrection that results in the cessation of personal existence).

I strongly defend inclusivism (i.e. the possibility of being reconciled to God in Christ without having heard the Gospel or professed a specific “sinner’s prayer”)

And so on.

3 Likes