Reworking the Science of Adam

Thanks for joining us @auntyevology.

Sounds good. I’m up for it.

Mainstream science. Not creation science or Intelligent Design.

It is for two reasons. First, from wikipedia:

There is no physical evidence that Adam and Eve ever literally existed, and their literal existence is incompatible with human evolutionary genetics.
Adam and Eve - Wikipedia

Even though this perception is common, it is false. It also appears in the peer-reviewed scientific literature (e.g. Ayala 1996). Because of this perception, this normally theological question is relevant to science.

Second, “Adam” and “Eve” are commonly used in the scientific literature as synonyms for universal ancestry (e.g. Y-Chromosomal Adam). The term, therefore, is important in scientific discourse. It is a reference to the science of ancestry.

No, we are not talking only about science. We are talking about the interaction between genetic science and Christian theology and hermeneutics.

I am not. I am in collaboration with theologians too, and also beginning to publish in theological journals too. This is about the dialogue between my field, science, and others.

There is already a way of looking at Adam and Even in science. This view needs some correction, because it is not correct. Errors were made in our understanding of how the scientific evidence constraints our theology of Adam. Those errors needs to be corrected.

I’ve encountered it in religious contexts.
I’ve encountered in scientific contexts.

No, I am referring to mainstream science, as is taught at my secular university. This includes evolutionary science and population genetics, broadly speaking, but also demographic inference, archeology, and anthropology.

There is quite a bit. As an example of some of this science in need of correction, I’d point you to Adam and the Genome:

That is the goal. I am not advocating for a single view as much as trying to give an accurate account of science for Church. I expect there will remain different views of human origins. Trusted voice on what the evidence is really showing us, however, are on short supply. I am doing what I can to serve the Church here.