Rhetoric and reality -- atheism or empiricism?

I have been accused, by @Dan_Eastwood, of “overreaching” and “hav[ing] an axe to grind”, so I will take the liberty of expanding my point in my OP to explain why I find the line of argumentation contained in Rope’s article to be deeply problematical.

@sfmatheson and @misterme987, as you’ve also expressed positive views of Rope’s argument, this post is also aimed at you as well.

As a preliminary, if any of you three gentlemen can point to how Rope bases his argument on empirical evidence, this will largely undercut my line of thinking below.

1. If Rope’s argument does not rely on empirical evidence of the balance of suffering in the real world, then (if it holds at all), it must hold – that the lives of animals are ‘good’, regardless of this evidence.

2. If it holds regardless of this evidence, it must hold that lives of animals are ‘good’, even if these lives were continuous torment.

3. This would lead me to wonder what other atrocities you might be willing to allow an argument to redefine as ‘good’.

4. At which point, it would seem to be a good time to ask you gentlemen what continent you are on, so I can stay as far way from you as possible.

In case you haven’t caught on, the above was a variant of a argumentum ad absurdum – in this case arguing that an argument that would justify something horrifically bad is a horrifically bad argument.

My wording may have been a bit fanciful (it is an argument “to absurdity” after all), but my intent is very serious – that an argument that purports to be able to make claims about the real world, without basing those claims on empirical evidence of the real world, is deeply problematical – and can lead to some very dark places. I therefore do not consider it unreasonable to view such lines of argument with deep skepticism and suspicion.

(A counter-argument could be attempted, that the opinions of prominent theologians on which Rope bases his argument on, might be considered to have a basis, however loose, in empirical reality. I would counter that not a few prominent theologians have had some fairly extreme opinions – e.g. Martin Luther on Jews, John Knox on the place of women in society.)