Scientific evidence for the supernatural

If you don’t believe that any prophecy can be true, that’s what you have to say. I choose to believe Genesis 1:1 (not without reason), and I choose to believe that Luke 21:25 refers to the effects of climate change/global warming – I am not being unreasonable.

A comment that I have posted after news articles on climate change:

So, IOW, until every single scientific question has been fully answered and the entire endeavor of science is permanently shut down, you reserve the right to believe in things for which no evidence exists.

I hope you can see for yourself the flaws in that argument.

1 Like

Since avalanches are known physical events, if someone reports he observed an avalanche there is no reason to doubt his testimony, unless there was some vested interest that might motivate him to lie. In which case further objective evidence might be needed.

If someone reported that he saw snow magically run uphill and neatly fall into place at the top of a mountain, like an avalanche running in reverse, this would not be believed based on a single person’s unverified account.

Does that help?

2 Likes

Maybe you missed the point. The events being referred to (e.g., the George Müeller account) do not break natural laws.

(Was “Does that help?” helpful? What do you think.)

1 Like

I guess you missed this part of my comment:

We do not believe every single claim every single person ever makes so long as it does not violate natural laws.

As prophesied:

Lying is a possibility. But the main problem is that happy coincidences are not evidence of supernatural forces, even if the story isn’t a lie or a myth.

2 Likes

We are not talking about the occasional coincident. We are talking about independent multiples, groups and series, collectively infused with meaning. They are indeed evidence of one of the Perpetrator’s primary M.O.s. But of course the antitheist has to deny them. She has to, she has no choice.

That’s the same M.O. astrology uses to dupe some people into thinking it is real. Make vague “predictions” with virtually zero details and trust people who want to believe will twist their observations to fit the “prediction”. Cold reader con men use the same trick.

2 Likes

Hi, Tim. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Dale. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are other reasons to believe the Bible, starting with Genesis 1:1.

Back to arguing the Bible is a science textbook now are we?

This part of ‘we’ haven’t. You’ve been misreading. But legitimate correlations are legitimate correlations. I can’t help it if your worldview disallows them.

People who believe in astrology say that too.

Yes, they do. Your argument would be called a straw man fallacy, I believe. A very nice example, I might add. Thank you.

That’s the problem. They don’t match, but you’re trying to make them fit anyway.

2 Likes

“…nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.” Yeah, that and global warming/climate change is a real force fit.

Yeah, it’s a perfect fit. :wink:

3 Likes

It is a real force fit, since once again you’re quote-mining the bible, ignoring the preceding text including the previous verse. Global warming does not include great earth-quakes, or pestilences, or great signs from heaven. It doesn’t include Jerusalem being surrounded by armies and trampled on. Global warming does not match that passage in Luke because that passage also says “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars.

1 Like