Scientific evidence for the supernatural

Do you really think that it’s saying that they all happen at exactly the same time or necessarily in the same sequence. I can see why you’re confused about fitting.

Actually, in general, don’t more sinkholes accord with global warming? Among other things, GW means more water in the air, resulting in less water in the aquifers. (…and heavier rain and snow events.)

As I understand it, metaphysics as a discipline has it’s own methods for testing metaphysical claims. Generally it starts off by examining the claim to see if it’s even metaphysically possible. Then if it passes that test then it’s examined for how probable it is and for it’s plausibility. I’m just a layperson but that’s how I gather it works generally speaking.

FYI I’m starting a new topic to consolidate what I’ve said into one place. I’m not sure if it’s easy to follow the argument I made as a whole since it’s kind of scattered around in different places.

1 Like

If I prophesize whether a tossed coin comes up heads or tails, my prophesy will be fulfilled about 50% of the time. If I do this with 1000 tosses, that would mean about 500 fulfilled prophesies.

Can you see the flaw in this reasoning? If so, then you should also understand why your argument is fallacious.

Yes, I see the flaw in your reasoning. The improbability of each of the events that we are talking about is not a 50:50 coin flip. And the improbabilities of the groupings of events are incalculable. You should also understand why your argument is fallacious.

And you are erroneously conflating prophecy and God’s providence, besides.

Then you have no idea whether they are anything more than coincidences, since you admit you’re unable to calculate their probability.

More to the point, you haven’t calculated the number of times such a “prophecy” could have occurred, but didn’t.

This is why we use control groups when doing drug trials. If you don’t, then you can think the response you are looking for has been produced by the drug, when it was just a coincidence.

You are still conflating prophecy and God’s providence.

Do you not understand the difference?

The difference is immaterial. Your fallacy remains the same.

Says someone who does not understand the difference. Have you looked them up? Your arguments say no. “Your fallacy” does not apply to both, nor either.

Once again, it is evident intelligent discussion is not possible here with you.

1 Like

Guess why. :stuck_out_tongue: It ain’t me, bro.

@Jim,

I think you’ve been misinformed.

We have no information anywhere that explains when or whether metaphysical ideas are possible. Perhaps the most notorious example is when someone says: “Nothing to fear from ghosts … they aren’t made of natural material, so they can’t interact with the natural world…” This is followed sooner or later by a high-pitched scream as an immaterial ghost destroys the speaker’s mind, or body or both…

We have no sources on metaphysical reality … because we don’t know which written materials about metaphysical things are accurate or not … because - - ahem - - metaphysics “aint got no physics”!

I think it may be you who are misinformed. Are you aware that metaphysics is a branch of logic that has been around since Aristotle and is highly developed and flourishing today? Are you suggesting that logic is not a reliable method of determining between what is possible and what is impossible, or what is plausible and what is just imagination? Science would have an awfully hard time making sense of anything without logic.

It’s your logic which is completely bollixed up. For some reason you think if science eliminates some natural causes for a phenomenon that somehow means ALL natural causes are eliminated. That’s like searching your garage for Jimmy Hoffa and not finding him there, then declaring supernatural pixies must have whooshed him to the 23rd dimension.

How many people have pointed out the same battleship sized hole in your reasoning? Yet still you drone on.

3 Likes

@Jim,

No… rather … I’m suggesting that metaphysics doesn’t seem to respond to the surgical implement we call “logic”.

Of all the notorious metaphysical events… “The Fall” (which I prefer to call The Expulsion)… logic would suggest that Adam and Eve can only be guilty of Sin if they know the difference between Good and Evil. And yet we have it on bountiful authority that God made sure they knew nothing of Good and Evil before their fall.

So logic would suggest… they fell not at all. They were Educated. What’s logical about putting a machine gun into the hands of a 3 year old… and telling him or her, in no uncertain terms, do NOT pull the trigger.

If I overhead a conversation like that, I would high-tail it right out of the vicinity … because you know gunshots and mayhem are not far behind!

2 Likes

I’m not confused at all. The passage in Revelation does give a sequence, not just because of the numbering but also because it describes people still being afflicted by the earlier events when the later ones happen. The passage in Luke doesn’t necessarily require the events happen at the same time, but it does say that Jerusalem being surrounded by armies is the precursor, and it does say that they all happen. So unless Jerusalem is encircled and the sun and moon start shaking, global warming is nothing to do with these prophecies.

Luke also writes that “this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened” But it did.

2 Likes