Side Comments on "Liar, Lunatic, or Lord"

How would you support this claim as I don’t think you have studied the evidence in any detail?

What you do or do not think is of no relevance.

6 Likes

But, of course, if Bill wanted to express a thought that actually was relevant to something, he could ask a moderator to reopen the thread where he demonstrated his extreme disinclination to serious thought, and redeem himself:

6 Likes

What evidence would that be?

Evidence from the old (Torah, Writings and Prophets) and New Testament. Evidence from relicts such as the Shroud of Turin and the Sudarium of Oviedo. Evidence from historical books like the antiquity of the Jews by Josephus. Evidence from the scientific study of our universe and the cellular make up of living organisms.

Well, if you don’t know how it looks when your short list of “evidence” has the Shroud of Turin on it, you aren’t a very good judge of the value of evidence. And your suggestion that @Faizal_Ali is not familiar with the nature of this sort of evidence is of course wrong. He appears to be much more conversant with the state of the evidence than you are. In particular, he is much more conversant with it on your last item:

On that, I will remind you again that you have shown us that you are not a serious thinker on these subjects and that you have not a single thing to say which deserves the attention of any educated person. You demonstrated that in the clearest possible terms in the thread linked below, and if you are to redeem yourself it will be by requesting that that thread be reopened, and showing your work. Without that, there’s nothing to see here:

6 Likes

None of which I find convincing…and I suspect I’m not alone.

3 Likes

I’ve never understood the leap from “the universe appears to be designed to support life” to “therefore Jesus.”. Seems like the apologists skip a few steps.

9 Likes

Here is the last debate on the shroud.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Can the “Liar, Lunatic or Lord” argument be made to work?

The subject matter is not going to be convincing on its own. You need to decide if it is worth spending time on one or all of these subjects.

Here is a resource to get an idea of the connectivity of the old and new testament.

I read that as Study the Story of the Bible With Three Fools.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you assume I haven’t spent time on these subjects.

5 Likes

Gotta love atheists’ “you can’t use the Bible to prove anything” schtick.
Early Christianity might be one of the most documented ancient events ever.

More documented than the events of the Roman Empire at the same time?

Questioning apologists’ absurd historical claims doesn’t make one an atheist, btw.

6 Likes

To be fair, just because someone wrote it down doesn’t make it true. By that standard Mormonism, Scientology, and Islam are true too. Claims being made in text form does not provide evidence for said claims being true.

5 Likes

Could you substantiate that claim? To which ancient events are you comparing it? How did you quantify the degree of documentation?

5 Likes

I once had a creationist tell me that we have better evidence for Jesus than for Julius Caesar. When I point out that we have books written by Caesar, he allowed as he might have to rethink that point.

4 Likes

Balderdash! The gospels and Acts are religious polemics, not serious history.

3 Likes

I had one make the same claim about Abraham Lincoln.

Top that. :wink: