Side comments on pragmatic vs. rational beliefs

Credulity rather than belief. “Belief” in this venue seems to mean Evangelical Christian belief.

ETA mean not lean

2 Likes

Well, it would be if it did! :slight_smile:

The article is by is opinion by Dr. Justin Barrett who a founding editor of the Journal of Cognition & Culture and is author of numerous articles concerning the cognitive science of religion.

Views on evolution of religious belief

Barrett is described in the New York Times as a "prominent member of the byproduct camp" and "an observant Christian who believes in “an all-knowing, all-powerful, perfectly good God who brought the universe into being,” [and] “that the purpose for people is to love God and love each other.” He considers that “Christian theology teaches that people were crafted by God to be in a loving relationship with him and other people, Why wouldn’t God, then, design us in such a way as to find belief in divinity quite natural?” Having a scientific explanation for mental phenomena does not mean we should stop believing in them. “Suppose science produces a convincing account for why I think my wife loves me — should I then stop believing that she does?”[3]

I am not criticizing Dr. Barrett’s work which seems interesting. I am just mentioning his frame of reference.

1 Like

Genesis 6-9, 18-19, 34…Exodus 12, Leviticus 23…most of the OT books have some reference or another, in total 130 references in the old testament by a quick search.

1 Corinthians 3:17 - If anyone defiles the temple of God , God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Acts 3:22-23 - 22 For Moses truly said to the fathers, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you. 23 And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.’

Matthew 10:34-39 - 34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set[j] a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ 37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

1 Like