Sponges on ancient ocean floors 100 million years before Cambrian period

The question presupposes that we start with information, and then use that information to build a body to a plan.

But maybe we actually started with the bodies that we found and then, after the fact, invented the idea of body plans. Maybe body plans are better thought of as spandrels.

No, Information Theory and evolutionary science does not recognize God as the source of where the information necessary to build an animal came from. From evolutionary science we know that the information to build an animal resides in the DNA of its parent.

@Art, I might also say that evolutionists must demonstrate that evolution is capable of the task, rather than making hypothetical claims.

Where does your number 40 come from?

Thanks,
Ann

Any takers for this question?

I’m not sure where it comes from myself. Curious to here your answer.

It would be really nice if these discussions could take place in such a way that any individual who supports a given position is not considered to be a proxy for that position, and, as such, has to constantly suffer the consequences of every historical offense ever committed by that group. Can we not just, as individuals, have conversations with one another? Talk about the points? To me, whenever I read someone attacking the character of a person or group, I immediately assume that they don’t have a good argument.

Please, discuss the points and stop berating individuals. There are so many great conversations from which there is much to be learned. These personal attacks are simply nauseating and they have no educational value whatsoever.

4 Likes

It is this God of the Gaps argument that scientists balk at. How can you claim that there are no precursors after searching such a tiny, tiny percentage of the fossil record? I think it is a very poor assumption to think that our fossil collections are complete or that we have a fossil for every species that existed over that period.

1 Like

Will you expect that, in time, we will see precursors to the aforementioned body plans that otherwise seem to appear fully formed? Discovering fossils that provide a clear pathway to these new body types would certainly overcome the “Cambrian explosion” argument.

Don’t get mad, because I’m just asking (remember, you are a friendly atheist)… but, if the fossil record is vastly incomplete, then the fossil record does not support an evolutionary pathway to the new body types found in the Cambrian layers. So, how does this quote, above, vary from the God of the Gaps accusation? It seems as though the evidence is the key. If it exists, then the “Cambrian explosion” argument goes away. If the evidence does not exist, then one can hardly criticize another for questioning the lack of evidence. Speculative future evidence is certainly not evidence, right?

Moreover, I don’t think that people claim that there are no precursors, they claim, as you have, that there is an incredible lack of precursors that have been discovered. (This is certainly what should be claimed.) Everyone should also agree that, if discovered, the criticism would be invalid.

That is precisely the reason why this matters.

Actually, this is pretty close to what they claim. They also claim that it was sudden, not 40 million years.

Ann Gauger, for instance, states it fairly, I believe.

But what about the other parts of my comment? I feel as though you really keyed in on the least significant aspects. Do those who hold to an evolutionary viewpoint (one that believes that evolution is solely responsible for the existence of all species on the planet) expect to see fossil evidence for these body plans that otherwise seem to appear fully formed? And what about the God of the Gaps argument?

Is it not responsible for all of us to say that evidence, not the lack of evidence, is the foundation upon which our arguments should be made? I think that we’re all truth seekers here. The evidence should be borne out over time and conclusions can be drawn. But, for now at least, this seems to be an open chapter.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Also it would be better, imo, to avoid statements of the “they say” sort and quote or cite a specific claim.

1 Like

First, what does “fully formed” even mean? How do you determine if a species is fully formed? What are the criteria?

More to the point, I have no idea what we will find in the future. All I do know is that we have searched a tiny, tiny fraction of the Earth for fossils. How in the world can you say that there are no precursors after searching such a small portion of the Earth?

That isn’t true because of Gish’s Law. For every new transitional fossil found there are now two new gaps. It is a fool’s errand to think that evidence will impact the YEC/OEC community. For example, here are quite a few transitionals and the YEC/OEC community just ignores them:

I do get a bit frustrated at times, but never mad. :wink:

The fossil record does support evolution because the theory of evolution predicts a nested hierarchy. The fossils we have fall into the predicted nested hierarchy. The theory of evolution makes no predictions about the rate of preservation or the rate of discovery, so gaps are not a problem.

2 Likes

Darwin seemed to think it was a problem, and absence of evidence for a theory is always problem.

It is strange that you would say that since Darwin wrote a whole chapter in “Origin of Species” explaining why it wasn’t a problem.

1 Like

Which ones do have apparent precursors? Do you admit there’s evidence those evolved from the precursors and say only the ones we haven’t found fossilized precursors for are “Designed” ones? That’s classic God Of The Gaps reasoning, an argument rejected by science three centuries ago.

Small gaps in the details does not equate to the entire theory suffering from absence of evidence.

Part of the evidence we need to take into account is the farther back in time we go the more rare finding fossilized remains become. This is especially true of pre-Cambrian finds when virtually all life was still soft-bodied making fossilization all the more unlikely.

An analogy would be: suppose you are a sheriff tracking an escaped prisoner. For the first mile the prisoner ran along a wet beach which showed his footprints clearly. For the next mile he cut inland where on hard soil every third or fourth footprint was preserved. Finally the prisoner ran across very rocky ground where his footprints are found every 500 ft. Should we conclude a supernatural being carried the prisoner over the ground so he didn’t leave footprints at places? Or should we take into account the physical substrate we are examining as the explanation for less prints?

2 Likes

I think it’s the opposite. The farther forward in time you go the rarer the fossils become. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Getting back to this (before the thread runs away from me) -

Recall the question:

The number of ways to “sample” one TF = 1.
The number of ways to sample 2 TFs = 3 (A, B, AB)
The number of ways to sample 3 TFs = 7 (A, B, C, AB, AC, BC, ABC)
The number of ways to sample n TFs = 2^n-1 (which is the formula for the number of combinations of N objects sampled without respect to order, less the case of no TFs).

To get 10^12 combinations (roughly speaking), it is easy to see that n=40.

Well, to see what is possible, consider the evolution of an entirely new kingdom, without any new information (to speak of) - summarized in this review. As always, enjoy!

3 Likes

I see now. I lost the original context.