The Abuse of Science by Scientists?

I am inclined to agree with @Agauger here…

She deserves attention because she has been honest, avoided ad hominems, acknowledged and retracted errors, and is bringing important questions to the table.

Reading this thread, I am agree with this too.

It should be obvious that I do not agree with most ID advocates. However, there is no need to bring in the ad hominem. I want the focus here to be on engaging ideas, not on personal attacks. We are going to curtail those that are just repetitively throwing out slogans without engaging others.

@Patrick, you are a minority here as an atheist, so I have tolerated more from you than from others. I need you to help me out with this. We need to be kind to people together. Disagree with people, but kindly. I also think the perspective you give on how atheists see things is important, but it will be helpful if we can do that in a way that welcomes others into understanding it. There is often a lot of validity to your points, but no one will see that if you come of as just being aggressive and bombastic.

Honestly, we are still going to walk away disagreeing on important things. We need a realistic goal. Instead of “making a point”, I want to ask everyone to focus on understanding others, and being understood. That is the only way such a diverse group is going to hang together.

5 Likes