The Carver Project: Science, Creation and the Church

Invite Your Pastor

The Carver Project of St Louis is offering a four week virtual-course, taught by Dr. Swamidass, on Science, Creation, and the Church . Wednesdays, 2-3pm CT (June 2, 9, 16, and 23)

This course will step through key portions of my book, The Genealogical Adam and Eve (IVP, 2019), and related articles which model new ways of navigating and understanding the complexity of human origins in the Church. Origins often becomes an argument, pitting us against each other and against how most scientists understand natural history, but there is a better way. We will discuss (1) the pastoral challenge of science, and how origins becomes a nexus of personal difficulty for students, seekers, and scientists; (2) the core theology and science of origins, including the Image of God and our theology of the Fall; (2) strategies for productively engaging congregations that hold different points of view on origins; and (4) how origins is entwined with our theology of justice and race. This class is taught from a perspective that sees legitimacy in mainstream science, including evolutionary science, while also respecting the diversity of views on this topic in the Church. An overarching theme is the importance of engaging questions with courage, curiosity and empathy, and responding to differences with humility, tolerance, and patience.

S. Joshua Swamidass is a Carver Project faculty fellow and associate professor of laboratory and genomic medicine at Washington University in St. Louis.

Also see the class by Doug Weins, a friend of Peaceful Science, on Climate Change and the Church . Tuesdays, 2-3pm CT (July 6, 13, 20, and 27)

The Earth’s climate is warming, and a lot of evidence indicates that climate change results from human activities. Yet there are contrary voices, and policies to slow climate change will impact some people’s livelihoods. How should Christians deal with this issue? In this course, we will first explore the science of climate change and what we know about the factors influencing it. We will review the history of ideas about climate change, and how scientific discoveries and social attitudes have changed our perception over the decades. We will end with a discussion about how Christians should respond to climate change. Is there a basis in scripture and tradition for Christian concern about the changing climate? How can we overcome the partisan bickering and have a genuine and informed conversation about this topic with our neighbors and friends?

Doug Wiens is a Carver Project faculty fellow and Robert S. Brookings Distinguished Professor of Earth & Planetary Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis.

Learn more and register here.

2 Likes

So, in this course Josh is the Carver and your pastor is the carvee?

3 Likes

The Carver Project is a collective of WUSTL faculty at the intersection of the university, the Church, and society. A few of us are scientists. Most of us are not.

“Carver” is a reference to George Washington Carver, who was born in our state. Race is one of those topics we engage.

3 Likes

Sorry Josh, I had no idea who Carver was and I could not resist the pun. Feel free to delete my comment and this one.

I just assumed you were making a pun. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.