The Genetic Code and Universal Common Ancestry

what about it? and this is the only thing at the whole code that seems to be non-optimal?

The difference between them.

No, just the most obvious one.

so if say 90% of the code seems to be optimal and rest isnt. isnt it logical to conclude that we may be wrong about the rest 10%?

To date, I havenā€™t found anything youā€™ve said to be logical.

1 Like

No. We go by the evidence we have, we donā€™t extrapolate away evidence we donā€™t like.

2 Likes

so even if 99% of the code was seems to be optimal you will say that the code isnt optimal?

Holy shirt, am I really reading this?

Yes. Deal with the evidence, donā€™t jump to the conclusion you want. It is so easy to fool yourself in the way youā€™re arguing for here. Where does this end? What could you not start believing despite having actual evidence against it, just because you can speculate and extrapolate that the evidence against it is wrong?

What youā€™re advocating is a recipe for endless self-deception and confirmation bias.

1 Like

Evolution optimizes systems, so it is expected. You share the same genetic code with your relatives, and this is due to common descent. We observe common descent passing on the same genetic code.

What would you expect to see from evolution and common descent?

1 Like

i dont think that evolution predict an optimal code at all. since evolution doesnt predict a code to be exist in the first place.

Why do you think that?

the code by itself is evidence for design since there is a logic between the codons and their amino acids (similar codons codes for the same amino acid).

evolution doesnt predict a code in the first place (remember darwins time). so of course that it will not predict an optimal code.

@scd,

Are you saying that because a galactic cloud of hydrogen gas (virtually empty of any logic or information) can organize itself into a massive fusion reactor ā€¦ that this is scientific evidence of Intelligent Design?

Or is it merely powerful inspiration for a position of intelligent creation?

If there are many possible optimized codes then evolution wouldnā€™t predict which one would evolve. However, the process of evolution optimizes DNA sequences, so why couldnā€™t evolution optimize the genes involved in translating RNA into protein? If changes in the genetic code offered some sort of advantage, wouldnā€™t that be selected for?

Neither does intelligent design. Where is your intelligent design model, and what mechanism is it that entails a code will be designed? Can I implement this model in a simulation or perform a calculation that shows a code should come to exist if a designer exists?

i dont think that design predict a code but as we see evolution doesnt predict it either. on the other hand the design scenario is the best explanation for the existence of the genetic code.

im not sure that i understad the question.

Then explain it with your design scenario.

This thread has long passed 100 replies and the discussion appears to re-tread old ground. Iā€™ll make some scattered comments, and then Iā€™ll let yā€™all have the last words.

Exactly. This is the point Iā€™ve been trying (and failing, apparently) to make. Hypotheses are tested in bundles.

And therefore, itā€™s unrealistic to demand that intelligent design make predictions that conventional evolutionary biology canā€™t explain, when conventional evolutionary biology can explain mutually incompatible observations, depending on which auxiliary hypotheses you pair it with.

First of all, Iā€™m not ā€œadvocating for aliensā€. Iā€™m agnostic when it comes to the nature of the designers. They could be from an extraterrestrial civilization, yes. They could also be researchers from another universe, with very differing physical conditions. ā€œTheyā€ could be an unknown, impersonal force of nature which merely gives the appearance of acting with foresight, the way the man in Searleā€™s Chinese room gives the appearance of knowing Chinese. They donā€™t have to employ DNA. They donā€™t even have to be carbon-based. They could be composed of an unknown substance which, when exposed to background radiation, spontaneously rearranges itself into conscious beings. Lots of other scenarios, even more far-out sci-fi-like, can be imagined.

Second of all, my suspicion of design isnā€™t based on an argument where ā€œFeature X couldnā€™t possible evolveā€. Iā€™m ready to accept, for the sake of the argument, that all the features of life on Earth could have evolved. As John McDonaldā€™s mousetrap sequence shows, itā€™s possible to imagine a gradual evolutionary transition leading to a structure, even when that transition never took place.

Iā€™m interested in what actually happened. And that question can only be answered through a detective investigation of clues, not abstract speculation about whether or not something couldnā€™t possibly have evolved.

I have no problem imagining scenarios. I doubt thatā€™ll satisfy @John_Harshman when heā€™s demanding that I explain who designed the designers.

Yet weā€™re also lead to expect frozen accidents, with inferior solutions being locked in. As Stephen J. Gould wrote in ā€œThe Pandaā€™s Thumbā€: ā€œOdd arrangements and funny solutions are the proof of evolution - paths that a sensible God would never tread but that a natural process, constrained by history, follows perforce.ā€

Based on what?