The helix, of DNA fame, may have arisen with startling ease

No, “primary literature” is a poor choice for laypeople, as is “peer reviewed.”

It’s simply about evidence. Most laypeople understand the difference between evidence and hearsay, as well as the difference between them in seeking truth.

Fine then! < the chemist packs up his model kit and wanders off > :wink:

2 Likes

It is not that potent. It is a paper tiger. I already did disarm it.

I wrote…

He did not dispute it but asked a follow up question:

And I wrote the truth…

The best way to demonstrate that we are not working from the same evidence is to present evidence that they just do not engage. It is obscenely easy to do this if you are a working biologist. For example, in the case of human-chimp similarity (see Thomkins and Jeanson), they never put in a control of mice-rat similarity. Why is it that there is 10x more differences between mice-rat than human-chimp? Evolution gives an answer, but none of them have a good answer. They don’t engage this data; they just ignore it.

Of course, they are not engaging the same evidence as us, but how would a non-expert know if we didn’t explain what it is? We have to do better than emoting frustration and making appeals to authority. We have to, you know, slow down and explain it to people.

Same is the case with the catalytic antibodies and Axe’s work (though I think Ann seems genuinely confused by why we are referencing it).

I would say that biologists and non-biologists are working from radically different ideas about what would constitute “first living organism.” That definition is likely sufficient to change times by a few hundred million years minimum.

The point is that the math fits time-wise and mutation-wise for the ancestry most disturbing to creationists. It’s a starting point for those not fond of evidence.

I’m confused too though @Mercer, because @Guy_Coe affirms common descent. I wonder if it is a red herring. It seems the trip point for him is in the percentage of fixed mutations that are functional vs. neutral. We know most of them are neutral, but he may not be on board with this.

So he’ll never make the same false claim again?

He didn’t accept it either.

I don’t see any basic confusion. She clearly sees it as an enormous threat that must be dispatched as quickly as possible, but I see subsequent confusion in that she doesn’t seem to realize that I chose catalytic beta-lactamases only as a control for her n=1 generalization that she has no interest in following up.

I believe that was in the opening post by Patrick.

1 Like

Who knows. I’d give the same response.

It is an enormous threat, because it essentially directly falsifies Axe’s thesis. Axe is not dealing with this, but Ann is attempting to understand. She has to unwind his response before she can fully appreciate it, and that will take time. I’m optimistic, still :smile:.

1 Like

I don’t see how that affirmation is relevant to the question of time.

So do literally thousands of other studies.

1 Like

Sure, but the key thing is finding easy to understand and salient studies that make it most clear without any distractions.

Now that’s an extrapolation @Mercer, I do have other things to do than hang out with you. I do plan to follow up.

1 Like

I would love to have my hypothesis demolished. :grinning:

I think that @Patrick was addressing @Guy_Coe’s claim that chirality is a huge problem for abiogenesis.

A surprising number of journal articles are available online, free, through a simple google search. That’s what I try first.

With whom have you used this approach successfully, for example?

So…this last weekend, there were 30 scholars who gathered to read my book. Several of them heard about the mice-rat divergence in conversation with me before, and for them this was easy to understand and also a key tipping in point in how they saw evolutionary science. I can’t name names though, because some of them are in anti-evolution institutions.

Also, I have data that shows this (along side some other information) convinced about 50% of the YEC homeschoolers I’ve discussed this with in the past.

3 Likes

Self-deception (remember cognitive dissonance?) is not dishonesty. Not understanding is not dishonesty. Those are far more likely than outright dishonesty.

1 Like

There’s no bright white line separating either of those from dishonesty. My question was how they exclude dishonesty.

Calling it dishonesty just shuts down the conversation. in context, @Guy_Coe is not even a scientist. At worst he is just unknowingly repeating someone else’s dishonesty. I think we will get farther if we give p r ople the benefit of the doubt.

1 Like