The Immortality Key: ... the psychedelic roots of Christianity

I’m not sure what to make of this, but it’s an angle on Christianity I haven’t seen before.

The Immortality Key: Brian Muraresku on the psychedelic roots of Christianity.

https://www.vox.com/vox-conversations-podcast/2021/3/4/21759683/christianity-psychedelics-brian-muraresku-the-immortality-key

I think I have seen it before: The Sacred Mushroom and The Cross by John Allegro. Allegro was a serious Dead Sea Scrolls scholar, but he sort of went off the deep end…

2 Likes

I had an intense psychedelic experience before. I can say that, while there weren’t Christian themes present, it was an unbelievably powerful experience unlike anything I could have imagined. I don’t know about Christianity in particular, but I could certainly believe a religion might be borne or reinforced from such an experience.

I wonder how feasible it was to grow ergot for those purposes. Was it done accidentally? On purpose? I’m struggling to envision this process.

My honest opinion - I feel less smart for reading that. Notice basically he said he had no evidence.

3 Likes

The bible does mention the hallucinogen mandrakes in one story about Leah trading mandrakes to Rachel for sex.

Genesis 30: 14-16 In the days of wheat harvest Reuben went and found mandrakes in the field and brought them to his mother Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, “Please give me some of your son’s mandrakes.” But she said to her, “Is it a small matter that you have taken away my husband? Would you take away my son’s mandrakes also?” Rachel said, “Then he may lie with you tonight in exchange for your son’s mandrakes.” When Jacob came from the field in the evening, Leah went out to meet him and said, “You must come in to me, for I have hired you with my son’s mandrakes.” So he lay with her that night.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.