The Most Important Things From Eddie

32 posts were split to a new topic: Is There A Difference Between Secular and Atheist?

Fascinating. I loved the comic. Unfortunately, none of the ā€œrevelationsā€ within it rattled me in any way. Even so, it got me thinking about my own deconstruction of my ā€œcheap condoā€ (the Morris-Whitcomb-Gish ā€œcreation scienceā€ of my church background) and what it took for me to replace it with solid science and a new kind of worldview. For me, there was no backfire-effect. Why? That is, why did I find my way out of my former viewpoint while many of my YEC colleagues have changed their views very little in the half century since?

Do I have a defective amygdala, perhaps? Or am I just a godless heathen masquerading as an evangelical? (Iā€™ve been accused of that many times by evolution-hating Christian fundamentalists.) Iā€™ve even been told that it is all a lie and that I was never a Young Earth Creationistā€”and certainly never a Christian!

I also was once upon a time a fairly traditional Calvinist, until I became a Molinist. It would be fascinating to do a large scale study of people who have and havenā€™t undergone major thought changes, complete with brain scans.

4 Likes

It shouldnā€™t rattle you. You have already examined your preconceptions and adjusted your beliefs accordingly. Your faith is sincere, based upon the value of faith itself*, and not subject to scientific questioning.

* Thatā€™s my wording for how I see it. I donā€™t mean to impose anything on you.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll bet if we did some kind of survey of Peaceful Science participants, weā€™d probably find that a huge percentage of us shared the life-long trait of enjoying the evidence-based demolishing of ā€œtraditional/popular factoids.ā€ In my generation, we probably all enjoyed the daily Ripleyā€™s Believe It or Not newspaper syndicated cartoon, where popular beliefs were often demolished with some fascinating fact. (e.g., ā€œThe myth that sailors used to fear sailing off the edge of a flat-earth was made popular by Washington Irving, who also wrote the Headless Horseman short story.ā€ or ā€œThe exotic sounding bird heard in the African jungle in Tarzan movies is actually an Australia and New Zealand native, the Kookaburra.ā€)

Indeed, how much of a role does curiosity in general play in those who tend to be willing to change ā€œcherished viewsā€? Does a competitive spirit also play a role? Do people who have survived difficult or even traumatic childhood experiences differ in their willingness to re-examine and abandon prior beliefs? (I have no idea if they do or not.)

Anyone who has participated in Internet forum debates has probably cogitated on these questions.

5 Likes

@Dan_Eastwood

Hereā€™s your 5-day reminderā€¦ though i am inclined to think it doesnt influence the Geneal.Adam scenario.

If I had time, I would argue that Christian also derive morality from compassion and empathy, just like atheists. Iā€™m swamped at work though, so I wonā€™t be tackling this any time soon.

2 Likes

Oh, for me, at least, there is no question about that.

The only difference is, I believe compassion and empathy was gifted to me/us by God.

I think that compassion and empathy is an evolved trait that made (make) us human.

2 Likes

Iā€™m aware.

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to get embroiled in this discussion, but for the sake of clarification, there are distinctions to be made here, and thereā€™s a difference between our ā€œmoralsā€ and how they factor in to our decisions and actions vs. Godā€™s Laws. For example, imagine a man and a woman who are married. They really dislike one another, and in order to escape the reality of the situation, the man has an affair with another woman.

Response one: A person could be empathetic to the stress of the situation and compassionate toward the man, and that could lead a person to, in that situation, morally accept the affair, and possible even endorse it. They could also determine that affairs are morally wrong and speak out against them.

Response two: A person could be empathetic to the stress of the situation and be compassionate toward the man that he is in a difficult situation, but remind him that Godā€™s Laws make it clear that a man is to seek God through prayer and is to not share the bed of another woman. Endorsing the affair would clearly be amoral and against Godā€™s word.

I do not disagree that oneā€™s morals are not shaped and affected by attributes such as compassion and empathy. Those morals are simply different than the morals derived from Godā€™s Laws. So, when Christians (for instance) talk about their morals, they are typically referring to the morals that come from Godā€™s word and not from their own feelings, emotion or compassion. Both exist, but the applications of the two are often different. They are also, as many have pointed out here, very often the same. Christians often go too far in suggesting that they have morals and others do not. This is clearly not so. Non-believersā€™ morals come from the very things Dan suggested, plus social pressure. They may or may not vary from what is set forth in Godā€™s word.

3 Likes

There is also a lot of issues with single-mindedly following the rules. Makes you unable to see wood from the trees so to speak.

Before you ask I have scriptural basis for this worldview.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you that there can be many issuesā€¦ I almost wrote that in my post, but didnā€™t want to take it too many directions at once.

I donā€™t think that there is a mutual exclusivity between these two means by which people come to their own flavor of morality. I was careful to include compassion and empathy in both examples. The thing that varies is the emphasis on whatā€™s written in the scriptures, thatā€™s all.

3 Likes