The Muon Lifetime Experiment and Neo-Lorentzian Interpretations of Special Relativity

Yes, that is literally what I said an inertial frame is.

This is a complete non-sequitur. I think we’re on different pages here.

The measured speed of light is, yes.

Yes… the neo-Lorentzian interpretation is an interpretation of special relativity. It’s not like its some non-relativistic theory. Time dilation (e.g. slowing of all physical processes) and length contraction occur for objects in motion relative to the privileged frame, as a causal consequence of the laws of physics. In any other inertial frame, you have apparent time dilation and length contraction for objects in motion relative to that frame, as can be shown from the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the moving observer’s instruments.

I’m sensing something of a disconnect between us in this conversation, so allow me to try and clarify my position. Your original comment in Jim’s thread was this:

My main intent was to point out that, in fact, the muon decay rate does depend on velocity, that this is exactly what we see in the muon lifetime measurements, and that the mechanism for the change in decay rate is nothing other than the usual laws of physics operating on a moving system rather than a stationary system.

In retrospect I didn’t even need to mention the neo-Lorentzian interpretation to make this point - it can be validly made from any reference frame. (It is just that I’m used to invoking it in relation to the privileged reference frame of the neo-Lorentzian theory.) Time dilation and length contraction are not just transformations that result from changing your reference frame. They are also, in the perspective of any one reference frame, physical effects that happen to moving objects, explicable by reference to the laws of physics described in that frame. See John Bell’s paper, “How to Teach Special Relativity”.

Time dilation, in particular, is (again, from the perspective of a single reference frame) the slowing down of physical processes for systems in motion, compared to systems at rest. And (in principle, because QFT is complicated and they generally do not compute the quantum state directly) it can be seen for the muon in how the quantum state for a moving muon evolves differently than the quantum state for a stationary muon.

1 Like