Theologian Argues Atheists Can Account for Logic

Thus, things are evident and the laws of logic are self-evident and undeniable. (I realize I am skipping over a veritable wonderland of skepticism and rationalism which I have no desire to deal with here. I simply don’t think I need to “justify” the existence of something I just ran my car into. If someone honestly doubts the existence of external reality, I would submit that his problem is not philosophical but psychological and he needs to seek medical treatment immediately.)

This is why the presuppositional argument for the existence of God from logic fails. A common argument from them is that atheists cannot account for logic. Logic is immaterial and universal, they say, and as such, atheists can’t account for anything that is immaterial and universal. But if what I am arguing for is true, the presuppositionalist’s argument is not successful. This is because atheists can account for logic, because logic is grounded in reality and being.

So, there is where we get logic and why we can’t use it to show God exists.

3 Likes

I think the title of the article is slightly misleading (in that he isn’t saying that arguments for the existence of God in general are invalid, but only the presuppositional argument), but I definitely agree with what he’s saying here.

3 Likes