Thinking About Falsifiability and Abiogenesis

A post was merged into an existing topic: How is James Tour Associated with ID?

TJ, none of the papers you linked show that any progress at all has been made on the question of how large molecules like DNA or RNA could have come into being through natural processes alone.

One of the papers you linked, published in 2013, begins with this statement:

ā€œDespite more than 50 years of effort, the origin of the genetic code remains enigmatic.ā€
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.4161/rna.25977

Let me state this as clearly as possible. Nothing has changed since 2013.

No, whatā€™s the fallacy? Can you provide a link to Tourā€™s comment?

Iā€™m talking about my conversations with him. :smile: If you canā€™t identify it on your own, you have much to catch up on. You are not Jim Tour. Study more, and weā€™ll engage again when you solve that puzzle.

1 Like

By the way, Shapiro has criticized the RNA World and DNA First models, but researchers from the RNA World have criticized Shapiroā€™s Metabolism First approach. Hereā€™s one paper that does just that.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.591.5098&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Please excuse me if the post I meant as humorous regarding Jim Tour set the wrong tone; I am, first and foremost, a student of irony, and felt I could identify with his perspective on ID, even if I donā€™t share it. Mea (maybe) culpaā€¦ : )

1 Like

I suggest you keep reading that paper. You just quoted the first line of the abstract (a common tactic among anti-evos) Papers tend to state a problem in the abstract and answer it in the body. As they do here.

And @Patrick has a point. This is one way we can tell if someone is merely a polemicist or not.

Joshua, this kind of condescension doesnā€™t help your stated goals for Peaceable Science. Either engage in the conversation or donā€™t. Iā€™ve provided you for links and information when you have requested. Either do the same for me or donā€™t pretend that you want to have a conversation.

Iā€™ve read the paper and donā€™t see any real breakthroughs here. What you think the paper proves exactly?

Actually, no. Iā€™m still waiting for you to explain how a metaphysical naturalist (like myself and @AJRoberts) can affirm the Resurrection.

I do understand we donā€™t always get what we want. Iā€™m sure the feeling is mutual.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Swamidass is Inescapably a Philosophical Naturalist

Put simply, every paper I linked to provides compelling evidence that the genetic code formed naturally through chemical interactions. Does it tell us the whole picture? No. But to say this isnā€™t progress and evidence favoring a natural origin of life is mistaken

1 Like

Okay, so you admit that we donā€™t know the whole picture. Thatā€™s progress.

In Shapiroā€™s view in 2007, the idea large molecules like DNA or RNA arose naturally was indefensible. Based on the papers you linked, do you think Shapiro has changed his mind?

Are you kidding me? I said that right up front, two weeks ago.

@Ronald_Cram, weā€™ve granted right up front that science does not know the whole story. It is not ā€œprogressā€ for @T.j_Runyon to reiterate what I said to you in literally my very first post addressed you. It might be progress that you are finally hearing us in some small way.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Swamidass is Inescapably a Philosophical Naturalist

I was talking to TJ. I know that you admitted we donā€™t know everything. I havenā€™t seen TJ make that concession yet.

1 Like

Fair enough. Good point.

We donā€™t know the whole story on the origin of life. We donā€™t know the whole story of itā€™s evolution. We donā€™t know the whole story of Big Bang cosmology. We donā€™t know the whole story of different periods in archaeology. And we probably never will.

1 Like

Okay, fair enough. But you didnā€™t answer the question so I will ask it again:

In Shapiroā€™s view in 2007, the idea large molecules like DNA or RNA arose naturally was indefensible. Given the papers you linked, do you think the evidence would have changed Shapiroā€™s mind?