Three Reviews of the Crossway Theistic Evolution Book

Do not be too hard on them. This is basically the pattern for this genre. As I write in the review…

Like most books on origins, Theistic Evolution is more a description of the views of those who write it than it is of those whom they critique. Read this book to understand how the ID movement imagines theistic evolution, but not to understand theistic evolution itself.

We see the same problem with Venema and McKnights Adam and the Genome.

Wayne Grudem aptly explains how poorly historical Adam theology was represented in a recent book by theistic evolutionists (p. 793). It is a strawman, for example, to link historical Adam theology with transmission of original sin by DNA itself. Grudem is correct; theistic evolutionists have not been sensitive to the theological concerns presented here.

I’d say that the TE book’s explication of TE is equally accurate as Adam and the Genome’s explication of historical Adam theology. Which is to say, both wildly miss the mark.

Read the TE Crossway book to understand how DI imagines TE, and explains the ID arguments the have always promoted.

Read Adam and the Genome to understand how no-Adam Christians imagine historical Adam theology, and explain their own no-Adam position.

The failure to understand here is very symmetric.

1 Like

See Ann Gauger's Response to My Themelios Review here.

@swamidass

Maybe tomorrow. Tonight I’m just sitting.