Top 15 Most Populated Countries (10000 BCE - 2100 AD)

The point I was trying to make was that large civilizations were ebbing and flowing all over the world for over 12,000 years -China, Indus Valley, Egypt. At the time of the writing of the old Testament, there were advanced civilizations all over the world. However, the Old Testament just talks about the exploits of this tiny, backward, superstitious group - the Israelites. Why did God pick these people to be his chosen people? Why not China, or India or even Egypt?

Forward to 2000 years ago, a huge increase in culture and empires. Millions of people all over the world, Yet God choses to be born and to save the entire world in the same area to the same people. Seems strange to me, that if God was watching the unfolding of human civilization for millions of years, that He would pick that time and that place to do everything. Just seems illogical to me.

2 Likes

OK. That’s very different than what you originally stated about “all the events of the Bible” taking place in a remote geographic area with a small population and the most superstitious people on the planet. This is from your post:

What I found interesting is that the area where ALL events of the Bible takes place has a population that is tiny compared to the rest of the world. To think that all the events of the bible happen to the most remote, the most superstitious, the most backward people of the world.

Even after you revise your description to focus only on the Israelites, there was nothing “remote” about their nation. Palestine was and still is located in a geopolitically strategic area where three continents meet. For thousand of years the land we call Israel was in the path of armies from Europe, Asia, and Africa. That hardly seems remote.

As I already stated, I don’t see how you determined that the Israelites where the most “superstitious” of all ancient peoples. How were the great civilizations you mentioned less superstitious? What is your evidence? Do you truly consider polytheistic societies like the ancient Romans, Egyptians, and Babylonians less superstitious than the monotheistic Israelites? Why?

Why would a series of texts written by Israelites not focus on the “exploits” of the Jewish people? That seems counter-intuitive.

Moreover, I think one should be very careful about characterizing any people group as “backward”, no matter how tiny and superstitious you may consider them. Do you consider the many relatively small Native American tribes who continue to practice their traditional religions to be “backward” peoples? Many would classify them with the same labels you have applied: tiny, remote, and superstitious. Are the tiny and remote Amazonian tribes “backward” even while they have skillfully survived in tropical environments where you and I probably wouldn’t make it more than a few days? What constitutes a “backward” people? And was Solomon’s empire (Israel’s Golden Age) backward?

The book of Genesis answers that question. It tells the story of Abraham and why God chose to make a nation of him. Why would China, India, or Egypt constitute a better choice? Are you saying that God should favor those who are already numerous and powerful? Why? Does God use the same standards as people? Does he only back the rich and powerful?

1 Like

@Patrick is still on to something here.

This is the scandal of particularity. It is a legitimate point with which to wrestle.

3 Likes

Yes. Particularity is a central theme of the Bible.

Clearly, God has priorities different than most peoples’ priorities. And Jesus Christ introduced radically new priorities. His kingdom is described as a better way.

See how history has unfolded. A guy living in the USA, 2000 years after the incident still has to contend with the biblical claim.

If the timing and location was so off, then this is a success that’s difficult to explain.
Look at Christianity’s closest competitor, I e Islam. Another “abrahamic” religion started about 1400 years ago in a similar geographic location.
Inspite of being a guy who lived in a “backward” place long long back, Abraham ended up influencing three major world religions comprising of huge populations. His story is known throughout history.

Wierd… Ain’t it?

3 Likes