Welcome to Terrell Clemmons: Questions on Methodological Naturalism

Well, these are a bit different, though, for the reason that these are explicitly claimed as extraordinary miracles in the NT which deviate from the natural order. To deny that they are not deviations from the natural order would be tantamount to using science to deny a central claim of Scripture. But I’m not sure you can argue the same for the origin of life. How about the following statements:

Particle physicists do not yet know how the matter-antimatter asymmetry came about.
Condensed matter physicists are not yet able to mass produce a high-temperature superconductor.

Would you object to any of the above statements?

There’s also a second caveat, in that some Christians don’t necessarily believe that a scientific explanation of certain miracles invalidates that 1) they actually, objectively, happened, and 2) they were still miracles. (And this is different from the common liberal or skeptical attitude that miracles never actually happened at all, or were merely magic tricks perpetuated by a conman.) For example, @DaleCutler has argued that miracles are “hypernatural” - the timing is the most salient point, even if say, Moses parting the Red Sea could be explained in terms of tidal forces or winds. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.) Similarly, I think @PdotdQ suggested the possibility of explaining Jesus’ resurrection in terms of quantum mechanics or general relativity or something similar. In fact, he once suggested (though not fully endorsed) the theory that anything that interacts with our senses is “natural”.

3 Likes