Welcoming Stlyankeefan

Baseball.

That has to be tough. I love getting the opportunity to learn from my fellow scientists at MNU like @Jordan. I feel like it makes me better at what I do. How long have you been on the faculty there?

1 Like

That’s like cricket, right? Where you kick pucks through goalposts?

1 Like

Now you’re just messing with me, right?

I’m in my fourth year. I really love what I do and my colleagues are great. I’ve gotten to learn a lot about their fields. But I do miss getting to talk science. I never realized how much I “think like a scientist,” to use the phrase I use in class, until I was the only one. Scientists really do look at things differently.

3 Likes

Them are fighting words!! :slight_smile:

I kind of agree with him. Never been much into sports.

Baseball is a grand game. You are missing out!

1 Like

A bunch of guys in tights chasing bases or whatever? I’d rather watch mud wrestling.

I’m a horrible Christian.

1 Like

Yep. But just barely. That I know the names of the players on any team is knowledge acquired by accidental exposure.

I’ve watched baseball. I’ve played baseball. I’ve watched cricket. I’ve watched water boil and paint dry. I’ve even watched paint boil. Best not to cheapen all these fond, rare memories with repetition. Plus the tickets, beer and food at ballparks is crazy expensive. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

And welcome, @stlyankeefan!
I suppose one advantage of being the only science professor is that you can get the dean to believe anything you say about your field.

5 Likes

That is a plus. And that isn’t limited to my particular specialty. I am the leading authority on all things even remotely science related. Which is kind of scary. My first week there someone sent me a picture of a snake that was hanging around one of the buildings and asked me if I could identify it. Lucky for me, I know how to google. But it’s nice that I can run my classes the way I want and they do their best to get me whatever I tell them I need for the lab.

5 Likes

Check out the used market for instruments & stuff. There’s a lot of turnover in biotech.

1 Like

You’re good. I don’t know the name of any player. My country is more soccer and tennis oriented (mostly because of Novak Djokovic)

By the way, how does every conversation here end up off topic?

Natural flow?

Bad habits. Soon we will be cracking down on this. Beware.

1 Like

It’s nice when it goes off topic like this. Shows that we are human and care about more than science and religion. Stephen Jay Gould’s best book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C436BK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

1 Like

Whatdaya expect, when we are welcoming a Yankees fan?

Welcome, Sharon. There is a great group of faculty from small schools here.

2 Likes

It’s the same here. Even though we have 11 science and math faculty, 3 of which are biologists, I’m the only one who teaches evolution and genetics so I get to do it the way I like to. It’s nice. It gives you ownership, freedom and flexibility in your courses.

3 Likes

I think it has something to do with ID… Just kidding!

2 Likes