Welcoming Stlyankeefan

Hello @stlyankeefan, tell us about yourself? Is this you?

Dr. Sharon R. Bloch, Associate Professor of Science, is fascinated by cell development. “There is a principle in science called Cell Theory, which states that ‘all cells arise from preexisting cells.’ But science can’t explain where the first cell came from or how cells developed into so many different cell types.” That’s where God enters the picture. Bloch loves studying and teaching about God’s work in the world – one reason she loves teaching at LCU. “I get to talk about how science and God fit together.”

https://lincolnchristian.edu/academics/faculty/bloch-sharon/

1 Like

Welcome. Glad to have another Yankee fan here to counter balance the abundance of Red Sox fundamentalists here.

4 Likes

That’s me!

1 Like
1 Like

I have a PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology from Saint Louis University. I used to do research at WUSTL, first in pulmonary medicine and then I moved over to Radiology. I worked in the ORL developing fluorescent imaging agents for tumors. A few years ago I left research to teach full time and I don’t miss research at all. I still review grants and papers for my old lab because I love editing.

4 Likes

@nlents, @Jordan,and @cwhenderson, and @Troendle, another undergrad focused biology professor!

Are you mainly teaching now?

Welcome!

Finally someone I can discuss the miraculous nature of cell membranes with. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, I teach at a small Christian college that doesn’t have an undergraduate research program. We don’t have a Biology major, yet. I’m working on building the lab and offering more science courses. I just received approval for an Associate in Science degree, which I’m really excited about.

4 Likes

But, no, seriously.

Welcome.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m looking forward to discussing science with other scientists. I am the one and only science professor at my university and it gets lonely.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m not a scientist, but there are a lot of great ones here so you’re gonna be able to discuss it all you want.

2 Likes

Haters gonna hate.

3 Likes

Well great to have you here. Start a topic if you like. Glad you are with us. Make sure no one pushes you around :wink:

Welcome @stlyankeefan It’s good to have more undergrad educators.

3 Likes

Thanks! I looked at your bio and see that you struggled with the 6 day creation account. I did too. I became a Christian as an adult and the 6 day creation was a big sticking point for me. I thought I couldn’t be a Christian unless I was a YEC, which would have been a deal breaker. I’m grateful I stumbled onto to some sources that showed me there are many options for Christians. Many of my students have the same issue and I’m able to help them find a viewpoint on origins that is consistent with their faith beliefs.

7 Likes

I definitely did struggle with it in college. It was mostly because I hadn’t been exposed to those other options. Some of my students also struggle with this and helping them realize there are options that allow them to be both scientists and christians is one of the things I enjoy most. I’m looking forward to conversations with you.

3 Likes

Same here! I am the one and only science professor at my university. I love my job, but I miss having colleagues in my field.

3 Likes

Go Braves. Chop On

1 Like

Are those basketball teams or something? Seems foolish getting worked up over adults playing kid’s games.

1 Like