Why Are Plants Green? To Reduce the Noise in Photosynthesis

A method behind the apparent madness of ignoring the peak of the sun’s energy spectrum! Very interesting.

5 Likes

Wow, that is pretty amazing. So simple and fundamental. It could end up in textbooks soon.

3 Likes

Next up: RubiSCO’s “inefficiency” is actually efficient for organisms. I’ve had a bet on that one for a while. In any case, the question is a great ice breaker for discussions at bars frequented by enzymologists. Perhaps too good… Sometimes police need to be called in.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed! This thread is a prime example of why I rely on Peaceful Science to help keep me informed about science news.

When I first studied photosynthesis in the 1960’s, it seemed like such a grand mystery. The chemistry/physics was poorly understood. So van Niel’s general equation for photosynthesis published in 1999 struck me as a huge discovery. Gabor, Cogdell et al seem to have tied a nice bow around the topic—in terms of biology textbook basics.

Hmmm. I can’t help but imagine what types of bars are most likely to attract enzymologists.

Alcohol has long been known as a social lubricant—but for enzymologists I suppose it is more of a social catalyst.

1 Like

I’ve wondered about that as well. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. :slight_smile: