Why Desire Adam as Genetic Ancestor?

Here we agree again. I too am worried about the racial connotations of GA.

No. It was never thought that speciation occurred in small groups. That was Ernst Mayr’s idiosyncratic contribution, which was never popular among evolutionary biologists as a group, though it gained considerable currency among paleontologists because Gould and Eldredge promoted it. The standard view has for very long been plain old allopatric speciation, with separated populations of any relative sizes. Might I recommend the book Speciation by Jerry Coyne and H. Allen Orr?

Could you cite something for this count of 4?

1 Like

David Reich in his book Who we are and Where did we come from, address the racial aspects of DNA sequencing. If people misinterpret the results, it could become a problem.

1 Like

Actually Africans have a lower amount of Neanderthal DNA than Europeans. But if it can be shown that Europeans got something beneficial from Neanderthals that African didn’t, that could fuel racism.

@PdotdQ

Yes, I do not believe DNA alone determines humanity, and that Catholic theology does not usually talk in those terms.
Yes, I am expressing my understanding of the science, and separately, the theology. These are my views, and I do not represent the Church.
However, my views are within the bounds of Catholic teaching on evolution, which is quite vague.

1 Like

Here is another area that @Agauger and I agree. DNA alone didn’t determine humanity. Culture, technology, innovation, human reasoning and empathy is what makes us human.

1 Like

My wife did. :joy:

3 Likes

This is a good question, there are several options that I can think of, but I am sure there are other, more theologically appropriate answers:

1. The person do not have a “human soul”, for a suitable theological definition of humanity, does not mean that they have no soul.
  2. The sacrament of marriage could be a channel upon which a person is ensouled.
  3. Inasmuch as philosophical-zombies are identical in all physical aspects to humans, it could be argued that it is okay to marry a person without a soul.

But in the end, my main point is that Humani Generis do not talk about humanity in the biological sense, and especially not in some DNA sense.

I understand that you hold these views, as I mentioned:

I am sorry for being pedantic, but it is important to emphasize it for the benefits of people who are not familiar with what being a Catholic means. As it stands, at least @John_Harshman confuses the fact that what you are professing is not Catholic doctrine, but your own views that are still compatible with Catholic doctrine:

@PdotdQ
There are no de fide Catholic views on evolution.

I know, which is why I kept saying that your views are not the de fide Catholic position. I did not say that it is against a de fide position.

I am just being pedantic. :blush: Go back and read exactly what you wrote. It could be read as saying, “Her view is not the de fide view. The de fide view is different.” Implying that there is a de fide view.

I hope this is clear from my statements such as this:

and this:

Tell me what is Catholic doctrine on evolution?

I don’t know why you are asking this, as I already said,

I’m glad there are other more theologically appropriate answers, since those have serious problems. The first is just weaseling. The second is farfetched pleading. And the third is creepy, or perhaps it implies that a soul makes no actual difference to a person.

Maybe, but what does that mean? What’s a “true human” in the sense Humani Generis means it? And what does “descend” mean in that sense?

So Humani Generis is not doctrine, and the Church has no actual position on whether Adam and Eve were real people?

I mean it’s theology, it is going to sound weaseling and farfetched pleading, but whether something sounds weaseling or farfetched to you does not constitute a rigorous rejection of these possibilities.

I don’t know, I have not read Humani Generis in its entirety, but I do know that it does not refer to humanity based on DNA.

Is it going to sound like that because it is that? Dividing the word “soul” into two pieces, one of them invented on the spot and apparently with no discernible difference between them, is just not a legitimate theological claim. Is theology just a matter of making up anything you find convenient? Inventing a new means of ensoulment is another example of you just making stuff up. And the third does get you into theological and philosophical trouble. Either a person without a soul acts like a robot, which requires feeling humans to marry robots, or a person without a soul has no detectable difference from a person with one, so what’s the point of a soul?

If you don’t know, how do you know that?

@John_Harshman

De fide means that which is of the faith, meaning that which must be accepted to be called Catholic. @PdotdQ has a strict requirement here on several topics, but he should know that there is no de fide pronouncement on evolution. Several popes have said it is ok to investigate evolution as long as the proper understanding of the human person is maintained and Church teaching is taken into consideration and not overthrown. ( Obviously, only Catholics or friendly non-Catholic Christians will do or have done this.)
Monogenism was declared to be one of those things not to be overthrown and it was in an encyclical, which has strong authority attached to it, but not as strong as a council ( rare) or ex cathedra statement by the pope (there have only been two). I take monogenism very seriously. But there are theologians who question it, mainly because of evolution.