Why No Living Human-Denisovan/Human-Neanderthal Hybrids?

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/03/31/1602270113

Current genomic and archaeological data indicate that BMHs arose in Africa ∼100,000–200,000 y ago and spread across the planet (including the rest of Africa), encountering other extant hominins like Neanderthals, Denisovans, archaic African hominins, and possibly other lineages from earlier diasporas of Homo erectus . Although genomic evidence indicates interbreeding, the number of functional genes incorporated is limited, resulting in a “leaky replacement” (3), without persistence of true hybrids. Thus, our single BMH (sub)species was the “winner” in every contact/replacement event, spanning tens of thousands of years. I cannot find any other example wherein a single (sub)species from one geographic origin completely replaced all extant cross-fertile (sub)species in every planetary location, with limited introgression of functional genetic material from replaced taxa, and leaving no hybrid species. Typically, one instead finds multiple cross-fertile (sub)species, with hybrid zones in between.

@AJRoberts will like this.

Such “human exceptionalism” is currently frowned upon, as are extraordinary explanations of evolutionary events. However, unless there are other clear examples of such complete replacement of all related taxa by one single (sub)species, BMHs may indeed be a rare exception.

2 Likes

You will like this too:

https://www.nature.com/articles/460684c

It is, indeed, indicative of something unique. This is why I, personally, prefer to understand the diverse “urgroup” of BMHs to refer generally to the Genesis 1:26 group, which then gets further transformed at 50-40 kya as the Genesis 1:27 “imago Dei” outcome, with the Adam and Eve story subsequently taking place at approximately 15 kya. They then pass on a significantly altered neocortical hyperinnovation, a fallen nature, that leads to global genealogical dominance of their offspring. We are the “victorious (sic) standing aggressors” of that developmental paradigm, not just the “sole survivors.”
These kinds of time frames are suitable for the original oral accounts of these far distant past developments to be, nevertheless, communicated adequately.
@jongarvey , @KenKeathley , @deuteroKJ, your comments?

“…with full self-awareness and inter-subjectivity would also come awareness of death and mortality”

Somehow this sounds eerily similar to the knowledge (of good/evil) that came from eating of the forbidden fruit in the garden.

2 Likes

Note: This doesn’t mean I’m in favor of finding secret scientific truths in the Bible. I’m more wondering about what parts of a true history might have been communicated through a divinely inspired human author in an ancient Israelite version of a creation myth. This is something I’ve always wondered about and doubt we will ever be able to know with certainty this side of heaven.

1 Like

I don’t think you raising any alarm bells. Varki himself has a religious background and often speculated thusly. He was a classmate of my mother in India.

1 Like

Figured that out from the name… :slight_smile:
@gbrooks9 might be interested to know “Varki” is derivative of the name “varghese”; which is a derivative of “George” (Georgeos in greek) found commonly among christians in kerala (esp Syrian Catholics)

2 Likes

@Ashwin_s

Hey, thanks!

ORIGIN OF GEORGIC

1505–15; < Latin geōrgicus < Greek geōrgikós, equivalent to geōrg(ós ) husbandman ( geō- geo- + -ourgos working,worker, akin to érgon work) + -ikos -ic

Geor-key = FARMER

Featured in Saturday Night Live’s skit:
Wild and Crazy Guys ! The Festrunk Brothers, Yortuk (played by Dan Aykroyd) and Georg ( Steve Martin ), are two immigrants hoping to make …

1 Like