YEC and Historical-Grammatical Interpretation

They can insist until they are blue in the face that they do not consider YEC to be a doctrinal essential, but actions speak louder than words.

2 Likes

Not to my knowledge. Why?

Why do you think there aren’t any YECs who hold to his view?

Dunno. Why? Please come to some sort of point as soon as possible. The Socratic method often seems passive-aggressive.

My point is that whatever Augustine is, he wasn’t a YEC. He would not be able to get a job at AIG. He wasn’t an OEC either. He would probably not be able to get a job at RTB. Of course he’s not a TE/EC either. But the point is that the existence of Augustine and his views on Genesis 1 way before the advent of evolution or modern geology suffices to prove that:

1. The YEC interpretation of Genesis 1 has not been held unanimously throughout history. It is not part of dogma.
  2. There are reasons independent of external modern scientific pressures to adopt a figurative interpretation of the six days of creation in Genesis 1, even if we don’t necessarily agree with Augustine 100% (e.g. regarding the overall age of the universe).

To go back to the last question I asked, the reason why most YECs don’t hold to Augustine’s view is that their hermeneutics doesn’t allow a figurative interpretation of Genesis 1. Therefore, any claim that YEC hermeneutics is part of Christian dogma or a marker of orthodoxy is wrong.

(Let’s put aside for a moment as to whether any of these hermeneutics are properly considered “historical-grammatical”. That term seems to be more of a later concept used most by modern evangelicals. We don’t see that term pop up as much in discussions of historical orthodoxy and dogma.)

Now, granted, as far as I know Augustine did not argue for a figurative interpretation of the genealogies of Genesis 5 and other parts of Scripture that are sometimes cited to support a young earth. So the existence of Augustine doesn’t automatically mean that OEC and TE/EC hermeneutics are acceptable. But Augustine does open the way for something other than YEC hermeneutics.

1 Like

I think you’re making a stand on definitions, and I don’t like your definition. I would define a YEC as somebody who thinks the world, life, and the universe are only a few thousand years old. Some flavors of creationist think that involves creation in 6 24-hour days. But there are other flavors.

Just because Augustine’s particular flavor has no living representatives (so far as we know), that doesn’t mean he isn’t a YEC. It just means he isn’t an AiG-style YEC. Whether YEC was ever a universal belief is not relevant. Whether creation took 6 days is not relevant. Whether it’s part of dogma or a marker of orthodoxy is irrelevant.

YEC is a modern term describing a modern phenomenon occurring in a modern context. It’s not just an abstract classification. And Augustine is not a YEC according to most definitions of YEC. Just like a Last Thursdayist who thinks that the whole universe is a simulation by aliens created last Thursday is not a YEC either.

I’m going to guess that you’re just going to insist on the literal meaning of the word “YEC”. But language doesn’t work that way. When we say “YEC” today, we think of Ken Ham and AIG.

1 Like

Then by definition, nobody much more than a hundred years ago could possibly be a YEC. I find that definition bizarre and see no point in arguing further. We mean different things by the term, and that’s all this is.

1 Like

If it wasn’t clear, that was the point that I was arguing for (not just assuming or defining), and I think @David_MacMillan as well: the modern YEC movement cannot claim to be the sole heirs of traditional hermeneutics.

1 Like

…and the current YEC movement includes by definition the only YECs, ever.

By definition, John, the current YEC movement includes only YECs living today. That’s a tautology.

Now you’re dicing words. You know what I meant. I used the word “current” as a substitute for “modern”, which if I recall was your word. By definition (your definition), no YECs can have existed who were not part of the modern YEC movement, right? There can by definition have been no YECs in — what? — the 19th Century? The 18th? Certainly not any earlier. Is that correct?

1 Like

@David_MacMillan knows more about this than I do, but Ronald Numbers argued pretty convincingly in The Creationists that the true pioneer of the modern YEC movement was Seventh Day Adventist George McCready Price in the late 19th century.

Modern YECs like to argue that most theologians before modern science believed in a young earth. That’s probably true, but that doesn’t prove the contention that the modern YEC hermeneutic is correct. Even if they believed in a young earth, they didn’t always hold to the YEC hermeneutic regarding Genesis 1.

1 Like

That seems reasonable enough. So by definition, nobody before Price could have been a YEC. Is that correct?

So? It’s probably the genealogies that would be the main biblical “evidence”. Certainly that’s how Ussher worked it out.

2 Likes

your main argument was as below -

You are ok with Isaiah and his contemprories not understanding God’s message about the messiah in Isaiah 7:14. But you are not ok with the same in Genesis and moses.
The prophecy in Isaiah is about something that would happen thousands of years later… And the portion in Genesis is about something that happened long long ago (atleast several thousands of years before Moses’ time even according to AIG).
Why is it impossible for Moses and his contemprories to not understand everything, while its ok for Isaiah and his contemprories to miss out on the main message.
This seems to be double standards.
Besides, Genesis 1 is not a narrative. Its poetic.

This is not what the text is teaching. Its showing an example from God’s action.
God rested on the 7th day, not from the 7th day.
There is further emphasis on this because its an example for the israelites to follow. Rest on the 7th day, i.e the Sabath, and go back to work from the 8th.
If God was resting on the 7th,8th, and upto several thousand days continuously, it doesn’t work as an example for Sabath.
We also know from the bible that God is still resting.
So, the best understanding from the text is that we are still in the seventh day.

Why is everyone assuming that Augustine would have believed exactly as he did then if he lived today?

Genesis 5 begins with the creation of the first man and doesn’t mention anything else, let alone state that Adam was created at the same time as everything else.

The three step method for refuting creationists doesn’t just apply to scientific texts.

People are concentrating on Augustine as an example of someone who believed in a young earth (why wouldn’t he?) and yet was not a YEC. (@dga471 is, IMO, correct. Usage is king and today’s usage is that YEC == somewhere in the neighborhood of Ken Ham.)

Augustine wasn’t the only “church father” (if you can call him that) who was not a YEC. YECs generally interpret God’s warning “on that day (that you eat from the forbidden tree) you will surly die” as meaning something like on that day you will begin the process of dying. The problem being that Adam breathed for another 900+ years. But in the early church famous figures solved this problem differently, with a millennial day solution. For example Justin Martyr (c. 100-165) wrote:

For as Adam was told that in the day he ate of the tree he would die, we know that he did not complete a thousand years [Gen. 5:5]. We have perceived, moreover, that the expression ‘The day of the Lord is a thousand years’ [Ps. 90:4] is connected with this subject" (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew, 81 [A.D. 155]).

What Justin is saying, is that a solution to the Adam-did-not-die-as-God-promised problem is to take “day” in Gen. 2:17 to mean a thousand years, a la Ps. 90:4 and 2 Pet 3:8.

So he was a young earth creationist, I suppose, but definitely not a YEC. Others had, at least at times, similar non-literal views of Genesis days, including Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, and Origen.

5 Likes

Yes, you’re absolutely right. Price formalized the teachings of SDA founder E.G. White – although this was more early 20th than late 19th – into what would become flood geology. Before him, the idea of rock strata being deposited by Noah’s Flood was really just not a thing. Morris and Whitcomb pretty much just took Price’s writings and repackaged them in a format convenient for evangelicals.

4 Likes

That, however, is not a requirement for being a YEC. In fact I’ve commonly heard another explanation/excuse: that the death referred to is spiritual death rather than physical. And I’d say that anyone who thinks that the days of creation were each a thousand years long is still a YEC. Sorry.

Of course it was. The early Neptunists were inspired by Noah’s Flood. Fossils dug out of rock strata were commonly believed to have died in the Flood — for an explicit statement, look up “Homo diluvii testis”.

1 Like