A Peaceful Science Primer?

At least I have evidence of Neanderthal DNA in my genome. What evidence do you have?

Also, aren’t GA’s and GE’s parents also ancestors of the entire human race? And their grandparents, and their great grandparents …

Rigorous knowledge of the limits of scientific inquiry and the wisdom to know that things exist outside our view.

1 Like

Please tell us about the limits of scientific inquiry. Is this limited to your own area of scientific expertise or does it extend to all fields of scientific inquiry now and in the future? And tell us about your wisdom of knowing things that exist outside your view.

We’ve covered much of this that time you tried to defend universal human rights: Atheist Defends Human Rights.

7 posts were split to a new topic: The Humanity of Denisovans

I understand some of this.

• Do the Church Fathers talk much about a larger group of humans created in Gen 1?

This seems contingent upon #2 being true? Also, “explicitly” is a strong assertion, I’d suggest. I’m not arguing against this - I haven’t had time to think it through.

1 Like

@Mlkluther

Ah… I think it was how I said it that triggered some of your response.

If we look at Genesis 1:27 -
Gen 1:27

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”

The “image” is explicitly stated. But of course, the conventional view is that Genesis 1 is speaking about Adam’s humans, including Adam and Eve. And this conclusion is certainly a reasonable one to make after reading Genesis 2. The two chapters seem to be related to each other. It very much appears to be 2 different discussions of the same “first couple”, but with different chronological telescoping.

But when the reader ultimately arrives at Genesis 4, all of a sudden it gets a bit confusing! Especially this part:

Gen 4:17

“And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.”

If the reader has a skeptical nature, he might start wondering if Genesis 1 is speaking about a larger group of humans, that existed BEFORE God created Adam and Eve via special creation.

If so, Genesis 1 discusses the image of God in connection with the Pre-Adamites…

While Genesis 2 doesn’t mention the image of God at all.

But Genesis 9 resolves the ambiguities, by explaining to Noah that murder is wrong because killing someone bearing the image of God is wrong. So by this time, there appears to have been a fusion of the patrimony of the larger population, and the descendants of Noah (assuming Genesis 1 is treated as per my discussion above).

Hope this helps, @Mlkluther

1 Like

It most certainly does.

2 Likes