An Atheist's Natural Theology

Most of the world problems are caused by the divisiveness and intolerance of the world’s religions. India is certainly no exception. In 40 countries today, you face execution if you don’t practice ANY religion. Freedom of Expression which is the combination of freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of association, and freedom of the press are a fundamental human right that most religions of the world reject.

1 Like

You forgot to mention communist governments. Where the state forced people to have no religion.

If human rights are fundamental, then it’s not the government’s to give. I don’t look to the government to tell me whether I can worship or not. Though i am grateful for my countries constitution which gives me the right to pursue any faith. I appreciate the peace.

As to theocracies… I believe in seperation of church and state. I believe you and all people have a God given right and duty to worship or not according to your conscience.

1 Like

If the general testimony of natural theology we’ve been mainly covering (creation points to a Creator) doesn’t convince someone, then it’s no great thing that any deeper natural theology escapes them too.

2 Likes

The One you ought to seek is the personal, transcendent yet immanent, creator of the entire universe, Patrick. Any others are false imitations or due to aberrant imagination.

Then you support various atheist organizations who are against blasphemy laws and apostate laws that execute and lash citizens who go on atheist websites?

1 Like

I think that there all due to aberrant imagination.

1 Like

I am against the state enforcing any religion on people. I don’t see why organisations that fight against this has to identify themselves as athiest.

I am all for Christian Groups and Atheist groups working together to oppose Islamic Theocracies. I am all for Christian Groups and Atheist Groups standing up against Israel’s persecution of Palestinians in Israel.
How about Christian groups and Atheist groups working together in this country on tolerance for LGBTQ and for woman’s reproductive rights?

1 Like

Start with the common ground first, and build from there. Take it as a win. You just found real common ground with @Ashwin_s.

1 Like

That is a totally rational response from a person who wrote this:

I would probably be an atheist too had I not seen what I’ve seen. It is not aberrant imagination. There is just a reality you have not seen yet @Patrick.

Exactly what have you seen?

3 Likes

How do you know?

3 Likes

I am going to come to my friend @swamidass aide here. Josh has sincerely held beliefs, a faith. It is part of him. It makes him what he is. Each of us has beliefs/fictions that drives our purpose and creates meaning in our lives. Given a purposeless and meaningless universe, each of us need and want to create our own purpose and meaning in our lives. Are human rights real? or are they an abstraction each of us try to define and use to create purpose and meaning for doing something. Everything I have seen from Josh is good, positive and helpful to other human beings. Do I need to know why he believes what he believes - no I don’t. I just look at his actions and that’s good enough for me to call him a good and decent man who sees suffering/harm and tries to minimize it.

3 Likes

Several lines of consilient evidence, both private and public.

I have no idea how any of this is relevant to the questions posed to Josh. For the record I believe all the things you say are true. And do I really need to know why he believes what he does? Depends on what you mean by need. I will certainly be able to live without knowing it, and asking him to expand upon it as a means of personal attack.

Asking someone to rationally justify or otherwise explain the basis of their beliefs is not a personal attack or somehow to impugn their character. Particularly when he has claimed his beliefs are not an “aberrant imagination”. The act of stating that in a public discussion board seems to me almost designed to invite further scrutiny. Why else state it? I believe all the theists who post here sincerely do believe.

Though I can’t help but suspect the unwillingness to just explain what the evidence is right out the gate is because he somehow recognizes the evidence is weak, and that he doesn’t really know he’s been contacted by God. He’s probably just interpreted a number of occurrences in his life as having been somehow orchestrated or ordained to occur by divine will. Some people were bad to each other, then stopped and became friends. Or someone in a terrible physical or mental state became well, or someone survived a car crash. These are real-world events given an interpretation of religious significance.

I’d be very surprised to be proven wrong here. Religious people interpret real-world events through the glasses of their beliefs, and then believe the events themselves are evidence for their interpretations.

That’s rather vague I’m afraid. On the topic of what spurred your earlier statement you seem to be saying that you are convinced you have had some sort of contact with God (you “sought” him out and he responded in some way?). And in response to Patrick you imply this contact is not just “aberrant imagination”.

Asking how you know, you give the above sentence in clarification, which clarifies nothing. I’d like to know what those lines of evidence actually are, at least the “public” ones if you don’t want to reveal the private ones.

When I have asked similar questions of theists before their answers generally all take this form. “I was thinking/praying, then some event outside of my control occurred which I greatly approved/desired and then I interpreted this to be an Act Of God™!”.

Though some times these events are also unwanted, and so interpreted to be punishments or “no” answers. I know because I used to think like that myself. I now understand that some times you really do just get a tax refund because someone made a miscalculation, and the wind really does blow because hot air expands. And people who used to hate each other some times change their minds without God having to mess with their neurophysiology.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Communism and Kerala

This is true as everyone has a filter. I have known you along time and see you doing the same thing except with a materialist filter. I also see Patrick using his materialist filter.

Evidence that might support theism gets filtered without consideration.

2 Likes

What evidence would that be?

2 Likes