Ark of Noah and Ark of the Covenant. Related Words?

You made the point that iotas are important, exactly at which point I merely added that commas are too. Why are you making it into a big deal?

“Just a bit”? Right. Spit on the next police officer you can.

Your ants are straw men.

Why is a policeman a good analogy for God?

He’s a person, he’s a person that deserves respect and obedience, and he has authority, for starters. There may be more reasons.

G’night.

You’re still dealing with the wrong question. I asked why he requires humility, not why he deserves it.

Maybe you are not dealing with the question, period. Does not a police officer require humility?

I’m not sure that’s true, and at any rate the question is why God requires humility. Why does God require humility?

You’re not the only one allowed to ask questions. Now, about police officers, elaborate. Why are you not going to mouth off to any? Do they not require humility from you in the performance of their jobs?

It was you that wanted to pursue the analogy of the police officer. If you cannot answer the question about whether or not a police officer requires humility, then your understanding certainly appears limited, and likewise your willingness to continue.

Apparently I’m the only one allowed to answer them.

I’m not going to mouth off to them for fear of arbitrary arrest or, if I were black, death. (I’m not sure humility is the right word. Compliance, more like.) I think they require it because they’re human beings, with egos that demand respect and reinforcement. So why does God require humility?

No, it’s your analogy. How does it explain why God requires humility?

Unaware, you actually alluded to one reason and got pretty close on another – the latter being the humility required beneath a position of legitimate authority, resulting in compliance. Compliance can be forced or willingly given – forced compliance is an affront to pride resulting in humiliation and a wounded ego; willing compliance, not so much.

I can imagine a CEO of a major corporation being pulled over for a minor traffic violation or vehicular issue. When asked for information, getting in a huff and at least thinking to him or herself, “Does that officer know who he is talking to?” (Some CEOs really do think themselves a breed apart. My aunt was a VP of NAM, and even she could be condescending to people who were in the service sector, or think of Kenneth Lay of Enron notoriety, or BP’s CEO, Tony Hayward, and some of his remarks after the Deepwater Horizon disaster.)

You alluded to another valid reason why we are required to have humility before God when you mentioned their humanity. It’s not their humanity, really, but their personhood. God is personal and should be accorded the rights of a person, including not being spat at or otherwise profaned. You needn’t come back with any nonsense about his ego or insecurity (speaking of profanity): he’s personal.

Building on the analogy, imagine that the officer is your father whom you love and who loves you. Is humility before him an issue? Conversely, imagine a rebellious delinquent in a gang who has a police officer as a parent. Yeah, humility is rather an issue.

Once again you confuse the question. It’s not whether God is deserving of humility; it’s why he requires humility of us. If it’s possible to decipher your comment, you seem to be giving one reason why it’s to our advantage to show humility and one why he deserves it from us. Neither is about him requiring it. The first reason (I think) is that humility prevents him having to force compliance on us, which would make us feel bad. But it doesn’t appear that he forces anything or that he acts in the world in any discernible way. The second reason is because any person deserves respect, suggesting that we should show humility to everyone.

Do you intend to answer the question at any point? Why does God require humility from us?

I can’t be any more clear. Humility is required by legitimate authority. God is such. Also, persons require humility from others for good relationships. You and I do not have a good relationship.

I’m afraid you’re right. Still, one can hope.

Why is humility required by legitimate authority?

I think you’re equivocating two senses of “require”, i.e. “need” and “demand”. Why does God demand humility from us?

Excuse me: humility is demanded by legitimate authority. Implicitly.

Can someone more articulate than I get through to John? @AllenWitmerMiller, @jongarvey, @dga471, anyone, please? :slightly_smiling_face:

Humility is implicitly demanded from others for good relationships, not authoritatively (see sbove), but implicitly, pretty much by definition of ‘good relationship’, humility being the frame of not to exalt oneself above one’s actual circumstance, ‘circumstance’ not necessarily being the word I am looking for.

It can become explicit, as in a contempt of court or resisting arrest citation.

Humility is NOT demanded from others for good relationships. There is no legitimate authority who we should be humble to. Humility is one of those fake Christian virtues along with grace. Get off your knees. Look people directly eye to eye. No need to have any humility. Treat all people with respect and dignity, yes. Humility no. We are humans with equal human rights.

Thank you for being a counterexample. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Modesty is a synonym, @Patrick

This humility crap that Christian say is required is just more of a control tactic. Humility is not required. Be kind, compassionate, and empathetic. No humility required.