Ashwin's Interesting Story

@Ashwin_s

Ha… yes … of course.

But then you reject Common Descent in its totality… when what you are rejecting is Speciation.

Hey… wake up… will you?

The famous Meyers would disagree with you. But certainly out of tradition, they are treated as distinct species.

What is the point you want to make? That there is a danger of someone thinking I don’t believe in reproduction within species?
I doubt anyone will misunderstand in such a way… unless they are determined to do so.

@anon46279830

I saw nothing in that article about sterile offspring… so I doubt this is Ash’s source!

Joe said there was no proof of natural selection…and yet what he really meant was there was no proof of Primate speciation.

So when I proved NATURAL selection… he complained that I hadn’t proved primate speciation.

The words you use have consequences. There is nothing controversial about Common Descent UNTIL you get to Speciation. Using the right terms focuses the discussion.

I never said anything about ligers…

Neither did i. I spoke of tigers and lions creating offspring. Shall we argue about what we are arguing about next?

I agree… I take care to do that. I even take time to find out what people understand by a term. Often people understand the same term differently.

Good… so lets stick to Speciation as the area of dispute.

I don’t know what to say. It is only three short paragraphs explaining how the male ligers are sterile IOW with Haldane’s law and the females are sometimes known to occasionally have a single cub. No evidence is given if those cubs are fertile.

@anon46279830

Heck, it’s pretty clear.

An old book recorded the belief that one gender was sterile. And then real life proved the book wrong.

“According to Wild Cats of the World (1975) by C. A. W. Guggisberg, ligers and tigons were long thought to be sterile; however, in 1943, a fifteen-year-old hybrid between a lion and an ‘Island’ tiger was successfully mated with a lion at the Munich Hellabrunn Zoo. The female cub, though of delicate health, was raised to adulthood.[21]

I take it to mean that it was long believed that BOTH genders of hybrid were sterile. But hybrid females tend to be more resistant to sterility than males and on rare occasions female hybrid ligers can be somewhat fertile.

Differential fertility.

@Revealed_Cosmology

If it were both, there wouldn’t have been a reference to one gender.

That book looks interesting. Perhaps I will purchase one day. God bless you in the name of Jesus.

1 Like