Behe Says Viruses are Designed

From Behe:

So, do I think viruses were designed? Yes, I most certainly do! The viruses of which we are aware — including the coronaviruses, Ebola, and HIV — are exquisitely, purposively arranged, which is the clear signature of intelligent design.

It seems like Behe is saying these are Mt. Rushmores, whereas I think most Christians would consider these Mt. Everests, if anything.

Again, from Behe:

In the same way, most viruses do not affect humans and may well have a positive, necessary role to play in nature of which we are currently unaware.5 (I would bet on it.) From time to time a storm arises in the virosphere and affects humans. But that’s no reason to think either that viruses weren’t designed or that the designer of viruses isn’t good

This does come off a little ill-timed and a bit callous. I’m not sure this is the time for using a global tragedy to prove a point. For many people it certainly won’t leave the impression that the author wanted. I don’t think Behe made either of his cases (viruses are designed, the designer of viruses is good) here.

I would think most Christians would recoil at the idea of God intending for the suffering these viruses cause, if they thought about it for a little bit. The Problem of Natural Evil is probably the most difficult parts of religious belief to wrestle with. If a god exists powerful enough to create the world, why would they create a world with such suffering and pain? Couldn’t they have done otherwise? I don’t think anybody has universally satisfying answers to these questions. Some blame humanity, some blame Satan, some blame individual people, some blame the Fall, some blame God, some blame nature.

I personally take some direction from the following passage from the Gospel of John:

As he walked along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God’s works might be revealed in him.
– John 9:1-3 (NRSV)

This passage is certainly not without it’s interpretive challenges, but I take it as a positive affirmation that God works through us to help and heal. So I don’t know exactly the cause and intentionality behind the viruses, but I think Christians are called to help alleviate the suffering, research solutions, and be engaged in the rebuilding of lives and communities in the aftermath. It doesn’t necessarily remove the questions, but it does provide a positive way forward.

5 Likes

Behe’s claim also make clear he thinks God comes by every so often and “designs” a new surprise for us. SARS-COV-2 which causes COVID-19 didn’t exist 15 years ago. I wonder why God sneaked by, designed us a new pandemic which is wreaking havoc across the globe, then split without even saying hello? I guess the deaths caused by God’s design of HIV / AIDS weren’t enough to satisfy the sadistic urges.

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Virus and the Problem of Evil

Here I thought this statement by Behe was a new development for ID & Creationism. Nope

The complexity and beauty of viruses is not lost completely in this fallen world and are something worth pausing to consider precisely because God created them. If we fail to recognize that viruses are designed, but affected by a fallen world, then we give up their wonderful design and begin to think that God is disinterested in the affairs of humanity or that God is some kind of cosmic monster. To the contrary, God has not just allowed us to see the complexity and design of viruses, but he has (in his infinite knowledge) also given us the tools to fight viruses in this fallen world. Not only has God given us these tools for fighting disease, he has also revealed himself as a God of love who sent his only begotten Son to redeem humanity (John 3:16).

2 Likes

AIG attributes that statement to Dr. Andrew Fabich, not Behe. Unless you were referring to the OP statement by Behe and I misunderstood, which is quite possible.

@AllenWitmerMiller be sure to scroll down the comments and read the discussion between God and the Angel Gabriel. :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, the Sensuous Curmudgeon. What would one do without the Sensuous Curmudgeon? As Milton ought to have said, “They also serve who only point and laugh.”

2 Likes

It’s a nice fat just-so story. God made them for a purpose. What purpose? Dunno, but trust me.

The hypocricy and irony is stratospheric.

Yes, I meant that AIG’s article (and their position) mirrors that of Behe.

@RonSewell

Issues of theodicy are not a monopoly of GAE scholarship. GAE scenarios have the same problems with natural evil that virtually all Christian denominations have !

I would not disagree; as a Christian I do not find the free will defense and other responses to the problem of evil to be very satisfying. That God specifically designed devastating and lethal viruses, however, takes the problem to another level in a way I have not seen until recently.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@swamidass

I recognize the truth that, technically, Creation is not Design.

But, frankly, my exploration of this philosophically paradox has yielded no benefits with the audiences I speak to:

Atheists aren’t happy with the Creation rhetoric, and Christians become deluded with the “magical notion” that God created all LIFE (animal and plant) - - without any fundamental design.

This error leads to the more excruciating magical notion that the vicious aspect of Evolution MUST be the cause of Adam!

The one comment I would make is that using “creation” in this context can be confusing to an audience. To be fair, scientists use the same word in the context of natural processes, such as low atmospheric pressure creating storms. If you are careful in defining the terms you are using ahead of time I don’t have any issues with it.

1 Like

@T_aquaticus

This is my entire point.

I need a wad of narrative to make it clear to a Christian that I endorse God as designer WITHOUT endorsing I.D. !!!

Such as cat memes and reTweets.

(But seriously, that paragraph was very helpful to me because I had never read about NCLDVs before I was inspired by your post. Thanks!)

Maybe viruses were designed with beneficial intent, but some of them become evil by accident.

How does something purposely designed by an omnipotent God become evil by accident?

5 Likes

Don’t blame God. He just works here.

3 Likes

I’m not blaming God, quite the contrary